The Bakers Arms
Commercial Road, Landport
Once located in the area now popularly known as Commercial Road South, the Bakers Arms existed for around two hundred years. As can be seen in the photograph, the pub was owned by Portsea brewers Brickwood’s, having earlier been in the hands of local rivals Pike Spicer. The pub served its last pints in 1914, being demolished soon after (at a time when the city was losing many of its pubs).
The Bakers Arms was reportedly the subject of a court case involving the pub’s licensee, Mr Pitt, and a local clergyman, Charles Joseph. The Reverend was proved to have slandered the pub during a sermon and was fined the hefty sum of £200. After refusing to pay the fine, the congregation of Lake Road Baptist Church had a collection to save the reverend from a gaol term.
The Bakers Arms
1 Holloway Street, Landport
The Bakers Arms could be found at the junction of Holloway Street and Railway View. The pub allegedly took its name from the fact that the original licencee, James Putman, was both a publican and a Baker, owning a bakery on North Street, Portsea. The photograph here depicts the pub in the early 20th century, when it appears to have been owned by a Burton-based brewer. The pub later transferred to the Brickwood’s estate and remained trading into the 1930s. Holloway Road has long since disappeared from the map.
42/44 Great Southsea Street, Southsea
This late-Victorian street-corner local on Great Southsea Street was built in 1898 to replace an older pub on the same site. Originally owned by Symon’s Brewery of Winchester, the house changed hands a number of times due to a succession of company takeovers – spending time in the hands of Long’s, Brickwood’s and lastly, Whitbread. The Barleycorn survived until 1988, at which time it was closed and converted to flats.
Photographs, left to right: 4th February 2007; 1958.
The Barrack Cellars
2 Eastney Road, Eastney
Occupying the site of the former World’s End pub on the corner of Eastney Road and Henderson Road, the Barrack Cellars was another of those Eastney pubs to be named with reference to the local Royal Marines barracks nearby. The building in the photographs dates from the late Victorian era and was owned by Portsmouth United Breweries. The pub later transferred to the Brickwood’s portfolio and survived until 1972, when, under new ownership of the mighty Whitbread, it was demolished due to road widening.
Left-hand photograph kindly supplied by Alan Reeves.
The Battle of Minden
127 St Mary’s Road, Kingston
Constructed in 1946 to replace the original Battle of Minden which was bombed out during the war, this pub was very much a locals’ local. The house was the last survivor out of five hostelries that once traded on St Mary’s Road (see elsewhere on these pages for details of the others) and was reputedly unique in being the only one in Britain to bear this name.
A Long’s pub until 1934, the Battle of Minden was taken over by Brickwood’s following that company’s acquisition of the former. In 1971 it was absorbed into the vast Whitbread portfolio before passing to Enterprise Inns in the early 21st century.
In 2012 the house was sold by Enterprise to local firm, Kipcroft Properties who continued running the pub with the same licensee at the helm. Sadly the house struggled to attract a viable level of trade as more and more former pub goers chose instead to drink at home. The plug was finally pulled at the end of January 2017, when last orders was called permanantly and the licensee went into retirement. The building is likely to converted to a shop or private accommodation.
Photographs, left to right: 29th November 2015; 14th August 2005; November 1998 (by Ray Scarfe); July 1990.
Allaway Avenue, Paulsgrove
The Beacon was one of five pubs in Paulsgrove that have been lost to redevelopment in the last twenty years. Situated on the corner of Ludlow Road and Allaway Avenue, close to many of the estate’s local amenities, the Beacon was one of the most popular pubs in Paulsgrove. Unfortunately, as was the case with many of the pubs in the area, the Beacon suffered from a poor reputation due to having a number of undesirable patrons. The Webmaster recalls at least one major disturbance being reported on the local news shortly before the pub was forceably closed by Hampshire Constabulary. The building was the victim of an arson attack shortly afterwards and was eventually demolished, to be replaced with housing.
Inn sign photograph courtesy of Ray Scarfe.
The Bear & Ragged Staff
45 Queen Street, Portsea
One of the longest surviving former pubs in the city of Portsmouth, this old beerhouse was part of the Pikes Brewery estate and closed as long ago as 1845. By 1918 the premises was home to a jewellers and these days is occupied by an IT company.
Photographed 29th November 2015.
The Bear & Staff
28 North Street, Portsea
Located immediately to the north of Queen Street, in a position roughly facing west towards Prince George Street, the Bear & Staff was a prominent Victorian pub, constructed in the early 19th century and refaced for Brickwood’s in 1907 in brewers tudor style. The pub survived until January 1964, at which time it was demolished along with a large part of the neighbourhood, for the redevelopment of Portsea.
The Bedford Arms
191 Kingston Road, Buckland
Situated on busy Kingston Road, on the corner of Bedford Street, the Bedford Arms was once part of the Blake’s Brewery (Gosport) estate, before passing to Brickwood’s in the 1920s and, ultimately, Whitbread in 1971. The pub was bulldozed in November 1974 as part of the redevelopement of the Lake Road area.
The Bedford In Chase
14 The Hard, Portsea
Known as the New Bedford in the 18th century – and briefly as the Widow Arms, the name Bedford In Chase can be traced back as far as 1823. Part of the Pike Brewery estate (late Pike Spicer), the pub was later taken over by Brickwood’s, who’s livery can be seen on the frontage in the photograph below (right-hand building). The house was the victim of a bomb raid on 22nd Dec 1940 – an attack in which the incumbent licensee, George S Barton, was killed. Nowadays the site is home to a modern apartment block.
52 Ludlow Road, Paulsgrove
One of half a dozen public houses that could once be found on the sprawling Paulsgrove council estate, built to house many of the residents of Portsmouth who found themselves homeless following the extensive bombing raids on the city during World War II. Planning permission was granted in 1955 and the house was completed the following year. The Beehive quenched the substantial thirsts of its regular (and sometimes troublesome) customers for almost 50 years before the death knell came with the approval of a planning application in 2005 to demolish the pub and build twelve houses on the site. The Beehive therefore became the most recent Paulsgrove pub to close, leaving just the Cross Keys remaining.
Colour photographs October 2000 (by Ray Scarfe).
The Belgrave Tavern
56 Albert Road, Southsea
Situated on a street still synonymous with drinking establishments, the Belgrave Tavern stood on the corner of Duncan Road, one block east from the King’s Theatre. This old Long’s pub later transferred to the Brickwood’s portfolio and survived until 1976, when it fell into dereliction and was sold off by its then-owner Whitbread. A new lease of life for the building came in 1979, when the premises reopened as a restaurant. It later became the Citrus Café Bar. By the autumn of 2014 it had reopened as the short-lived Al’Burrito Mexican bar and restaurant.
Colour photograph 15th July 2007.
The Tricorn Centre, Charlotte Street, Landport
Constructed in the mid 1960s as part of Portsmouth’s infamous Tricorn shopping centre, the Bell could be found hiding within the inner precincts of the rambling brutalist development. Owned by Brickwood’s Brewery at its time of opening, the pub soon transferred to Whitbread following its purchase of the local company in 1971. The pub closed its doors long before the death knell was sounded for Tricorn itself.
Left-hand photograph reproduced with the kind permission of David Ayres.
Centre and right-hand photographs reproduced with kind permission of Peter Green.
The Bell Tavern
67 High Street, Old Portsmouth
This imposing old pub stood at the junction of High Street and Broad Street, Old Portsmouth and dated from the latter part of the 18th century. Known variously as the Bell, Little Bell and Old Bell Tavern during its life, the inn survived until the 1920s, when it was delicensed and converted to housing. No trace remains of the building in the 21st century.
70 Twyford Avenue, Stamshaw
Starting life as the Dairyman’s Arms in the 1800s, this small, late-Victorian pub appeared to defy the odds by continuing to trade into the 21st century whilst others in the area closed their doors.
Once part of the Portsmouth United Breweries estate (and seen sporting that company’s tiling in these photographs), the Beresford regularly hosted local DJs and karaoke nights and was very typical of those to be found in Stamshaw, having altered little in decades. The final years of the pub’s life were however turbulent, in as much that it rarely appeared to be open, with subsequent licensees being unable to make ends meet. The final death knell came in October 2010, when the city planners gave permission for the pub to be converted to four houses, with a fifth to be constructed to the rear. The resulting conversion has left the building with a hideous cladded façade, which it is hoped still conceals the original pub tiling beneath.
Photographs, left to right: 30th September 2006; 13th July 2008; 14th February 1988.
The Binsteed Arms
7/9 Binsteed Road, Buckland
The Binsteed Arms stood facing its neighbour, the Druids Arms, from the opposite corner of St Stephen’s Road. Owned by the Miles Brewery toward the end of the 19th century, this little corner house retained the same name throughout its long history. Unfortunately, time was called on the pub in July of 1981 – a particularly bad year for Portsmouth pub goers, when national brewer Whitbread purged many ‘underperforming’ pubs within its estate and shut a number of houses across the city. This particular premises was converted to flats.
Left-hand photograph 15th July 2007.
Black Bar & Brasserie
11 Victoria Road South, Southsea
This modern bar and brasserie in Southsea’s primary eating and drinking district emerged from the former Rickshaw’s Restaurant and hosted live music on Friday and Saturday nights. The premises closed in November 2007 and now forms half of the Fat Fox pub.
Photographed 19th September 2oo4.
The Black Dog
301 Arundel Street, Fratton
The pub in the left-hand photograph was erected in 1965 as a replacement for the recently demolished pub of the same name which was located a few yards to the west, at 261/263 Arundel Street (see near right-hand photograph). The Black Dog was frequented almost exclusively by a local clientele from the nearby housing estates.
Since the far left-hand photograph was taken in 1990, the pub saw a number of different identity changes including Bailey’s, Kennedy’s and Grizzly’s until eventually being closed and demolished in June 2002 to make way for a new apartment block.
Photographs, left to right: July 1990; June 1999 (by Ray Scarfe); August 1990 (by Ray Scarfe); unknown date.
The Black Horse Tavern
3 Tower Street, Old Portsmouth
Little is known about this historic former tavern that stood on Tower Street, facing Portsmouth Harbour. The date that now appears above the entrance to the building states that the tavern dates from c.1657. It is known to have continued trading until around 1896, at which time the licensee was a gentleman by the name of Samuel Goddard. The premises is now a private house.
Photographed 26th October 2011.
The Black Prince
Middle Street, Southsea
The Black Prince was a modern, multi-level pub built in 1968 to service the inhabitants of the Somerstown estate and was one of the few Eldridge Pope pubs in the city. After being sold in 1989 to South Coast Taverns it spent a time trading under the name of Churchill’s before adopting its final identity of Jimmy’z. By this time the pub had turned its emphasis towards live music and strippers to pull in the punters. Closed in 1999 and demolished following an arson attack, there now stands a large university halls of residence (Trafalgar House) and convenience store on the site.
Photographs, left to right: 2nd July 1999; May 1998 (by Ray Scarfe); unknown date (by Ray Scarfe).
The Black Prince
68 Upper Arundel Street, Landport
This old beer house stood mid terrace on a street which has since changed beyond all recognition. A Brickwood’s pub during Victorian times, the Black Prince later became part of Dorchester’s Eldridge Pope Brewery estate – one of a small number in Portsmouth once owned by the former Dorset company. The pub survived into the 1960s when it was demolished to make way for redevelopment of the surrounding area.
The Black Swan
56 Broad Street, Old Portsmouth
A pub by the name of the Black Swan existed at the foot of Broad Street for at least two hundred years. The tavern situated in the building photographed here served its last pints as long ago as 1896, when it was purchased by marine company Vosper. The premises is now a private residence.
Photographed 23rd February 2015.
The Blacksmiths Arms
66 Lennox Road North, Southsea
This Victorian tavern stood on Lennox Road North, at its junction with Chester Place. Owned by the local Peters Brewery for much of its life, the pub had become part of Surrey’s Friary Meux estate by the time this photograph was taken in around 1970. The Blacksmiths was apparently popular with students and survived until 1974, at which time it was closed and demolished to make way for redevelopment of the Marmion Road area. The site is now occupied by the Waitrose supermarket car park.
Photograph (c.1970) kindly supplied by Clare Ash.
The Blue Anchor
21 Queen Street, Portsea
The building pictured in the photograph below was opened in 1962 to replace the previous pub that had been bombed out during the war (see also The Western elsewhere on this site). Constructed in typically austere ’60s style, the pub was very much a local’s local and not the most salubrious of establishments! The pub spent a large part of the early 1990s closed before reopening later in the decade and eventually being refurbished and renamed Tradewinds in 1999. However, the bar was unable to be turned around financially and in 2000 was closed. The pub was demolished in late 2006. There now stands a residential apartment block on the site.
Colour photographs, left to right: 11th May 1989; April 1999 (by Ray Scarfe); unknown date (by Ray Scarfe).
The Brewers Arms
170 Milton Road, Milton
The Brewers Arms was at once one of three hostelries that faced each other across the road junction of Milton Road and Priory Crescent. This old Gale’s pub (latterly owned by Fuller Smith & Turner) replaced an earlier pub of the same name which occupied the same site (see right-hand photograph below). Originally sporting an ornate green glazed brick frontage, this feature was unfortunately obscured from outside view when a single-storey extension was added to the building some decades ago.
The pub traded until late 2016, by which time trade had fallen off considerably – with most customers tending to visit the pub only when Portsmouth FC were playing home matches at nearby Fratton Park. The house was deemed surplus to requirements by Fuller’s and became subject of a planning application in 2017 to demolish the site and replace the pub with flats.
Colour photographs (left to right): 13th July 2008; 15th July 2007; September 1998 (by Ray Scarfe); 28th April 1991.
The Brewery Tap
Chapel Street, Buckland
The Brewery Tap once stood on Chapel Street and was owned by Young’s of Thomas Street, Landport. The St Thomas Brewery was later renamed the Victory Brewery and was taken over by another local company, George Peters & Co, with Young’s estate of around 63 pubs being transferred to Peters’. The Brewery Tap has long since been demolished.
139 Queen Street, Portsea
Located close to the Brickwood’s Brewery on Queen Street, this pub outlived the former by quite a few years and was even renamed the Rising Sun (Brickwood’s logo), presumably in recognition of its previous owner, following demolition of the brewery buildings to make way for a car park in the mid 1990s. The brewery site is now home to a number of large apartment blocks.
The pub eventually succumbed to the same fate, but not until the start of the 21st centuy. The site is now also occupied by residential and retail properties.
Photographs, left to right: April 1999 (by Ray Scarfe); 11th May 1989; date unknown (by Ray Scarfe); June 1983 (by Ray Scarfe).
The Bridge Tavern
224 Somers Road, Southsea
Named after the adjacent Turner’s Bridge, which once spanned the Portsea and Arundel canal (later to become the trackbed between Fratton and Portsmouth & Southsea railway stations), the Bridge Tavern once served the inhabitants of the high density terraced housing that once covered this part of town. Surviving until 1983, this old Brickwood’s house (latterly in the hands of Whitbread) was demolished to make way for road improvements. The run-down nature of the neighbourhood is evident in the photographs.
Left-hand photograph taken in 1980 (courtesy of Steve Payne).
The British Flag
1A Kassassin Street, Eastney
The British Flag on Kassassin Street, Eastney ceased trading around 1990 and was converted into private residences. This attractive little former Portsmouth United Breweries pub occupied an angular plot on the corner of Eastney Street, facing the Sir Loin of Beef. The house was later transferred to Whitbread’s portfolio, where it remained until closure.
Colour photographs, left to right: 11th May 1989; July 1985 (by Ray Scarfe).
The Briton Tavern
34 Harley Street, Fratton
Occupying the corner of Harley Street and Wimpole Street, in an area which is now covered by inner city council flats, the Briton Tavern was built in 1862 as a beerhouse, to which the Britain Brewery was attached. The pub later became part of Brickwood’s large pub estate, with beers supplied from its Queen Street brewery in Portsea. Externally decorated with the brewery’s familiar glazed tiled fascia, it also sported two painted murals advertising the company’s ales at first floor level. The pub traded into the 1920s and was eventually demolished.
The Bush Hotel
2 Elm Grove, Southsea
Occupying the corner of Elm Grove and Castle Road, the Bush Hotel was an imposing Victorian building, owned by the George Peters Brewery and dating from around 1891. In 1910 it came under ownership of Portsmouth United Breweries and lasted for a further thirty years, when it fell victim to German bombing during World War II.
The Byron Arms
214 Queens Road, Copnor
Constructed in 1900 to a design by architect A E Cogswell, the Byron Arms stood on the corner of Queens Road and Byron Road and had recently ceased trading when the left-hand photograph was taken in 1988.
As the picture shows, the Byron was a former Brickwood’s house and later transferred to the Whitbread portfolio. It was converted to flats in 1989.
Colour photographs, left to right: 14th August 1988; June 1998 (by Ray Scarfe).