The Dairymen’s Arms
7 Candahar Place, Landport
This mid-terrace beerhouse took its name from the dairy that once stood behind the row of houses that occupied this street. Complete with Brickwood’s familiar tiled frontage, the premises has long since vanished from the map. The area is now home to a dominance of council flats.
The Devonshire Arms
29 Devonshire Avenue, Southsea
Constructed in 1906 to a design by architect J J Cotton, the Devonshire Arms occupied a large corner plot in a residential district of east Southsea. Originally owned by Long’s Brewery (as shown in the black & white photograph), the house passed into Brickwood’s ownership in the 1930s and later to Whitbread. It was latterly owned by national pub company Punch Taverns prior to closure.
The pub’s interior was knocked into one single bar room in the 1980s by then owners, Whitbread, giving the Devonshire the feel of a public bar. It tended to be frequented almost exclusively by regular customers from the surrounding streets, with visitors generally using the pub when darts matches were played.
A downturn in custom prompted Punch Taverns to put the pub on the open market and a buyer was found in the spring of 2012. Last orders were called for the final time on Friday 27th April. The house was converted to a convenience store, with the upper storeys becoming residential accommodation.
Colour photographs, left to right: 13th July 2008; 14th August 2005; 11th May 1989.
The Dew Drop Inn
9 Besant Road, Landport
This typical street-corner local stood at the junction of Besant Road and Highfield Street – a streetscape that has long since been consigned to history, with the construction of Holbrook Road in the latter part of the 20th century. Starting life as the Star in Victorian times, the pub was part of a small estate owned by the tiny Cosham Steam Brewery, which was taken over by United in the last years of the 19th century. By 1912 the pub had become known as the Dew Drop and was eventually transferred to Brickwood’s portfolio following that company’s acquisition of United in the 1950s. The house survived until the 1960s, when it was demolished as part of the regeneration of the local area.
The Dial Tavern
104 Crasswell Street, Landport
One of a trio of pubs lost from Crasswell Street in the late 20th century, the Dial Tavern was demolished in the mid 1990s. A victim of its environment, the pub found itself stuck in the centre of a run down inner city estate with high unemployment. The Webmaster recalls a conversation with the licensee shortly before its closure, who was resigned to the fact that it would soon cease trading due to a lack of custom. Part of the Friary Meux chain (Allied Brewers) at the time of this photograph, it was one of a number of pubs sold to Gales in the early 1990s.
Photographed 18th February 1990.
The Dog & Duck
115 Fratton Road, Fratton
Housed in one of Portsmouth’s oldest buildings, the Dog & Duck was converted from two adjacent cottages dating from 1669 and 1703 respectively. Both still stand and were underwent refurbishment in the early 2000s, including the reinstatement of an inn sign at the front of the property. The pub traded from the early 18th century. Owned by the Pike brewery from 1750, the pub was in the hands of Brickwood’s in its later life. The right-hand photograph shows the pub in the 1940s, when it sported a large and somewhat incongruous forward extension courtesy of Brickwood’s.
Closure came in 1981 (at the hands of Whitbread) and the frontage was demolished in 1984 when the building was converted for National Westminster Bank, who occupied the site until 2002. By 2007 planning permission had been granted for a new bar and restaurant to be housed within the building. This sadly never came to fruition and the premises later became home to a day nursery.
Left-hand photograph 14th August 2005. Right-hand photograph 1934.
The Dorchester Arms
9 Marketway, Landport
The Dorchester Arms became one of the few pubs left standing in the Charlotte Street area following construction of the nearby Cascades centre in the late 1980s. The house was owned for many years by Dorchester’s Eldridge Pope Brewery until the company ceased trading in the ’80s and the pub was sold on.
Demolition of the Tricorn in 2004 and the subsequent application to redevelop the whole ‘Northern Quarter’ meant that the Dorchester’s days were numbered. The pub closed in late 2005 and later became a low budget café premises.
Photographs, left to right: 15th July 2007; November 1998 (by Ray Scarfe); 18th February 1990.
Drummond’s (The Wiltshire Lamb)
1 Hampshire Terrace, Southsea
Originally the Wiltshire Lamb and latterly Hampshire Boulevard (HB), this pub became a popular venue for the gay community in the 1980s and continued in this guise until it reopened as part of Whitbread’s Tut ‘n’ Shive chain in 1996. 1999 saw the pub trade for a brief spell as Monty’s before reverting to its proper name of the Wiltshire Lamb. Sadly, this guise didn’t last long and by 2003 the pub had adopted the name Hampshire Boulevard (since truncated to simply HB). The exterior still retains much glazed brickwork courtesy of Brickwood’s Brewery, though the fascia has unfortunately since been covered up.
HB continues to trade as a late-night showbar, having been removed from the Current Pubs section of this website due to no longer operating public house hours.
Photographs, top row, left to right: 20th March 2011; 19th September 2004; January 2004 (by Ray Scarfe); July 1999 (by Ray Scarfe); April 2002 (by Ray Scarfe); 11th May 1989.
The Duchess of Fife
86 Castle Road, Southsea
One of a number of former pubs still standing in the local area, the Duchess of Fife was originally, as seen in the photograph, part of the local Long’s Brewery. Its green glazed brick and tile frontage has survived for sixty years since the pub ceased trading in the late 1950s, when it was owned by Brickwood’s of Portsea. The premises was initially converted into a retail premises and is presently the offices of a design company.
Photographed 18th March 2007.
The Duke of Cornwall
247 Lake Road, Buckland
One of around twenty pubs that stood on Lake Road in the 1930s, the Duke of Cornwall started life in Victorian times as the Prince of Wales and was once run by the small Anderson Brewery, located off Commercial Road. The pub stood roughly where Turner Road now meets Lake Road, on what was once the corner of Westminster Place, one block away from the Swan (now Ladbroke’s turf accountants). The house was renamed the Duke of Cornwall in 1902, probably on acquisition by Portsmouth United Breweries, who had the pub refronted to a design by architect A E Cogswell in 1909 (see photograph). Its date of demolition is uncertain.
Left-hand photograph kindly supplied by Richard Sheath.
The Duke of Edinburgh
80 North Street, Portsea
Dating from the mid 1800s, this old pub was originally given the rather odd name of the Excellents House Of Call before being dedicated to the Duke of Edinburgh in the 1870s. Its original address was 80 North Street, though alterations to the street plan over the decades now sees it listed as standing on Cumberland Street. The pub received a facelift by A E Cogswell at the end of the 19th century and was leased to Portsmouth United Breweries from the Lush Brewery before later becoming part of the Brickwood’s portfolio. The house served its last customers as long ago as 1964 and in 1988 was reopened by HRH Prince Phillip following its conversion to private housing.
The right-hand photo shows the pub in the background, with at least two other former taverns also in shot.
Colour photograph 14th August 2005.
The Duke of Wellington
93 Russell Street, Landport
This attractive street corner tavern dated from early Victorian times and was also known as the Wellington Inn for a short time during the 1870s. Smartly decorated in Portsmouth United Breweries’ livery, it was one of dozens of pubs lost as a consequence of enemy bombing during the Second World War. It was demolished following damaged caused to the structure in 1941.
The Duke of York
232 Commercial Road, Landport
Starting life as the Lord John Russell, this house was originally a pub and brewery owned by the Gardiner family. Purchased by Brickwood’s in 1874, the pub adopted its latter name in around 1899. It continued trading until the mid 1950s, when the premises was demolished for local road improvement works.
147 Albert Road, Southsea
Sadly only in existance for a short time, Duke’s stood at the front of what is now the Wedgewood Rooms and consisted of a one roomed bar specializing in live Sunday lunchtime jazz sessions. Real ales were served and food was available during the day. The bar was sadly closed after a very short life and became the ticket office and cloakroom for the Wedgewood Rooms.
Photographed 28th April 1991.
The Duncan Cellars
35 Duncan Street, Landport
Located on the site of a Victorian beerhouse, the Duncan Cellars was rebuilt in around 1899 for J J Young’s brewery. In 1934 the pub’s ownership transferred to Friary Meux of Guildford, where it remained until its closure in the early 1950s, when Duncan Street was absorbed into the naval dockyard.