94/96 St George’s Square, Portsea
Built on the site of the Blue Anchor in 1853, the Eagle stood on the corner of Butcher Street and St George’s Square, Portsea and was the last of many pubs that once stood on the square. Originally part of the Pike brewery, the pub remained trading until the summer of 1982 when it served its last pints. The premises was converted to flats in 1988 and was given an external facelift in 2006.
Left-hand photograph 8th February 2007.
The East Cosham Tavern
48 Havant Road, Cosham
This former Brickwood’s pub once stood directly in front of the newly constructed (early 1960s) Uncle Tom’s Cabin, which itself was built to replace both the East Cosham Tavern as well as the original Uncle Tom’s Cabin – a Gale’s tavern that stood immediately to the west. The second to left-hand photograph looks east along Havant Road and clearly shows both original pubs. The colour photographs show the East Cosham Tavern undergoing demolition and in the right-hand image we see the new pub standing immediately behind.
Colour photographs ©Peter Barlow.
The Eastney Arms
42 Cromwell Road, Eastney
Another 19th century street corner local, the Eastney Arms was owned by the Miles Brewery and stood on the corner of Eastney Street. The pub closed its doors as long ago as 1918 and soonafter reopened as a shop. In 1975 it became a Chinese takeaway. Today the premises houses a convenience store.
Photographed 15th July 2007.
The Eastney Cellars
56 Cromwell Road, Eastney
This small, street corner local traded as the Eastney Cellars as long ago as the 1880s. Once part of Portsmouth’s Young’s brewery, a century later it was in the hands of Friary Meux before being sold to Gales as part of a job lot in 1990. It was put on the market soon after and was refitted and renamed the Cellars At Eastney, becoming popular with the gay community.
This guise didn’t last long and the premises changed hands once more, transforming the pub into Portsmouth’s premier live music bar. The formerly run-down pub became a thriving, comfortable bar, featuring live acts most nights of the week. These often included well-known names from both the UK and abroad. Sadly, the Cellars At Eastney closed on 1st August 2015 following the expiry of its lease with Enterprise Inns. By the winter of 2016 the pub was in the process of being converted to private accommodation.
The right-hand photograph shows the pub’s very rare Youngs Brewery window – Youngs of Portsmouth being the owner of the pub between the years 1878 and 1964. The fate of this window is unknown.
Colour photographs (left to right): 4th February 2007; 4th February 2007; 18th February 1990.
Window photograph 9th November 2015.
The Egremont Arms
52 Crasswell Street, Landport
A former Portsmouth United Breweries pub, the Egremont was one of three surviving pubs on Crasswell Street until the late 1980s. The pub featured some attractive glazed tile work and the building has thankfully remained intact following conversion to private residences (see right-hand photo). Whilst it traded, the Webmaster recalls a rather sparten interior, with bare boards and upturned wooden casks for tables. The lack of windows also meant that it was a rather dark place in which to drink!
Photographs, left to right: 14th August 2005; 18th February 1990.
The Elephant & Castle
107 Sultan Road, Buckland
Located on Sultan Road in the centre of the inner city Buckland estate, the Elephant & Castle suffered not only from a poor reputation, but also from its less than glamorous appearence, being of typically cheap post-war design.The building shown in the colour photograph was constructed in 1959 to replace the original pub that was destroyed by a bomb on 27th April 1941 (see right-hand photograph). Originally a Pike’s house, the pub had passed into the hands of Brickwood’s by 1910 and was subsequently swallowed up by London brewer Whitbread. The latter building was demolished in 2001 to make way for more housing.
Photographs, left to right: October 1997 (by Ray Scarfe); 14th August 1988; c1920.
The Emperor of India
246 Commercial Road, Landport
Located on the site of the former London Stout House (later the Prince of Wales), this pub dominated the corner of Commercial Road and Paradise Street. Designed by architect W J Walmisley and built in 1904 for the Young’s Brewery, the house enjoyed only a relatively short life, sadly being demolished in 1961 to make way for the bland architecture of the present Commercial Road.
The Empire Tavern
238 Somers Road North, Fratton
Originally the Builders Arms, this former Portsmouth United pub was located on the corner of Lucknow Street, where Holbrook Road now stands. Renamed the Empire Tavern in 1891, the house spent its latter years under ownership of Brickwood’s until its closure and subsequent demolition in 1967.
The Esplanade Hotel
Clarence Esplanade, Southsea
Constructed in 1877, this imposing three storey building stood opposite Clarence Pier, on land now occupied by amusement arcades and a Premier Inn. Purchased by original owner Henry Cawte by Brickwood’s in 1879, the hotel was also later listed as being under the ownership of King George V and leased back to the brewery. The building’s life came to a premature end in 1940 when it was the victim of enemy bombing. The licence for the hotel was thereafter transferred to the replacement Esplanade Hotel on South Parade (see entry below).
The Esplanade Hotel
38-42 South Parade, Southsea
Opened in 1942 in an imposing building adjacent to the Savoy Ballroom, the Esplanade Hotel traded until 1976. The building will be best known to many readers as Fanshawes – a large pub popular with clubbers during the 1980s and ’90s. By the late ’90s the premises was trading as Frisco’s and has since been known as the Tangerine Suite, White Room and Bar Bluu (sic).
The closure (and subsequent demolition) of the adjacent nightclubs housed in the Savoy Buildings left this part of Southsea rather devoid of any nightlife. As at May 2015 the building was undergoing substantial refurbishment, with the upper storeys already converted to apartments.
Photographs, left to right: 15th July 2007; May 1998 (by Ray Scarfe).
The Euphrates Arms
57 Fyning Street, Landport
This Victorian street corner local could be found at the junction of Fyning Street and St John’s Road – the latter street having now been replaced by Holbrook Road. A Jewell’s Brewery pub during the 19th century, the house later became the property of Brickwood’s until its demise in 1962 for redevelopment.