57 Fyning Street, Landport
This small tavern started life as the Napier Arms and occupied the junction of Fyning Street and Northam Street, in the area north of Arundel Street. The pub was rebuilt for Horndean brewer George Gale & Co. in 1901 to a modest design by A E Cogswell and named the Harlequin. The house survived until 1968, when it was flattened to allow for redevelopment of the neighbourhood. An abundance of blandly-designed council flats now cover the area.
Portsdown Park, Cosham
Certainly one of Portsmouth’s most notorious public houses, owing to its location amidst the concrete jungle that was Portsdown Park, this small Gale’s house could be found in an elevated position at the entrance to this infamous council estate. Finding the way in could well be a challenge for a first time visitor, but then again, once inside you’d probably have wished you’d not bothered! The Webmaster has vauge recollections of spending a couple of lunchbreaks in the Harlequin, downing large, cheap whiskies before returning to work at Queen Alexandra Hospital opposite! The end for the Harlequin came in 1987 when the entire estate was flattened to make way for an altogether better private housing estate.
The Havelock Tavern
114 Crasswell Street, Landport
The Havelock is one of three Crasswell Street taverns to be found in the Lost Pubs section of this website and was the first to close. As the right-hand photograph shows, it had already served its last pints when this picture was taken in February 1990. Part of a small estate of Eldridge Pope pubs in town, it too suffered from being in a deprived area with few people having the resources to spend money in a pub. It was soon converted into flats, as shown in the left-hand image.
Photographs, left to right: 14th August 2005; 18th February 1990.
The Hawke Street Tap
35 Hawke Street, Portsea
Stood on the west side of Hawke Street, close to its junction with College Street, this pub was known to be serving customers as far back as the 1770s. Under ownership of the Lush Brewery in the 1880s, the house was purchased by United in 1918 and ended up in the hands of Brickwood’s in 1953 following their acquisition of the former company. The pub became the subject of a compulsory purchase order in 1968 and was demolished in 1971 prior to the redevelopment of the immediate area. The right-hand photograph shows the pub and its neighbouring properties empty and in a poor state of repair prior to their demise.
The Hearts of Oak
483 Commercial Road, Rudmore
This striking former Brickwood’s pub once stood towards the northern end of what was once Commercial Road (now Mile End Road). The original end-of-terrace property was architecturally unasuming until given a trademark elaborate facelift by Arthur Cogswell in 1897. This resulted in a riot of glazed brickwork, mosaic tiling and stained glass, as seen in the photograph. Sadly, time was called on the pub in 1974 and demolition followed, ready for the complete redevelopment of the road system in the vicinity. Thankfully, some of the internal fittings were saved and can now been found on the first floor of the Portsmouth Museum. Additionally, much of the ornate frontage has also been saved and is presently in storage (reputedly at Fort Purbrook), hopefully to be exhibited to the public one day. Compare this lovely building to the monstrous Estella Road flats that now loom over the area from the opposite side of the road. The 1970s was a sad time for the architectural heritage of Portsmouth.
Click here to view a colour photo of the Hearts of Oak, taken May 1970 (© Getty Images).
Help The Lame Dog Over The Stile
Grigg Street, Southsea
Certainly one of the most curiously-named pubs that has ever existed in Portsmouth, this old tavern had shortened its name to simply The Lame Dog by 1927. Originally a Long’s Brewery pub, it later ended up as part of the Brickwood’s estate. By 1934 it appears to have become a shop. The building was demolished, presumably as a consequence of the redevelopment of the St Paul’s Road area in the 1960s (Grigg Street having ceased to exist by that time).
The Highland Arms
Highland Road, Eastney
Starting life as the Highland Tavern in 1865, the former Highland Arms still dominates the corner of Highland Road and Eastney Road. By 1900 it had changed its name to the Highland Arms and the building underwent extensive alterations early in the 20th century (the date of 1915 still being clearly visable on the left side of the building, with the second photo to the left showing also showing the name of the pub’s original owner, Biden & Co). Closed in 1984, the house was converted into flats and now sports an ugly third storey extension and lift housing.
Left-hand photograph 30th September 2006.
The Highland House
108 Highland Road, Eastney
One of a number of pubs located on Highland Road (only three of which remain trading in 2015), the Highland House stood on the opposite corner to the Three Marines – itself still serving pints to the local population. A small Victorian tavern, it was owned by the Mew Langton Brewery until the 1930s and the pub remained in business until at least 1960. By 1980 the premises had become a hostel by the name of Highland Lodge and remains so to this day. The bar room and counter are still in situ.
Photographed 15th July 2007.
29-33 Guildhall Walk, Landport
This short-lived ale house opened its doors in the early 1990s, owned by then-national pub company and brewer Whitbread. The large bare-boarded interior, with basic furnishings and upturned ale hogsheads proved initially popular with real ale drinkers – students and older customers could regularly be found rubbing shoulders at the bar. A wide range of eight or nine cask ales, mostly from the Whitbread stable, was available. Sadly, after a few years, Whitbread appeared to grow tired of the Hogshead brand and the poorer performing pubs in the chain were sold off, including this particular house. The premises soon after became a late-night student venue by the name of Bar Me (see left-hand photograph), later morphing into the Terrace Bar (2010-2011, as seen on the right). These days it trades as an evening cocktail bar by the name of The Lyberry.
Photographs (left to right) 15th July 2007; 20th March 2011.
The Horndean House
213 Lake Road, Landport
On of many pubs once to be found along the length of busy Lake Road, the Horndean House was a Victorian corner pub, stood at the junction of Lake Road and Turner Road. In 1923 the pub’s name was changed from the Dolphin to its latter name by owners Gale’s – reflecting the fact that the brewery was located in Horndean village, nine miles to the north. The pub continued to trade into the 1960s when it was demolished for the redevelopment and realignment of Lake Road. The left-hand photograph shows the pub on the far left of the image, whilst the right-hand photo depicts the premises on the far right side.
Left-hand photograph 12th October 1946.
The Horse & Jockey
28 Marlborough Row, Portsea
The Horse & Jockey started life as the Hare & Hounds, acquiring its latter name licensee Rebecca Diddams took over the pub in 1851 after moving here from the Horse & Jockey on nearby Sandwich Street, which had recently been demolished to make way for an extension to the dockyard. Once owned by Pike’s Brewery, the pub spent most of its life with Portsea’s Brickwood’s. The house closed in around 1942 and the site now stands within the present H M Naval Base. The pub’s licence was transferred to the White Lodge on Southsea Terrace – now better known as the White Horse.
1/3 King’s Road, Southsea
Standing in a prominent position at King’s Road Junction, the Horseshoe was constructed in 1957 to replace the Horseshoe Hotel. The house spent a brief period in the late 1980s trading as Shoes (see right-hand photograph) before reverting to its original name.
In latter years it became one of the few pubs in the city regularly featuring live bands. Planning permission was given for redevelopment in 2004. The left-hand photograph shows the premises closed and boarded in September of that year. Demolition soon followed. The plot is now home to Horseshoe Apartments.
Photographs, left to right: 19th September 2004; March 1999 (x2) (by Ray Scarfe); 11th May 1989.