Lost Pubs – J

The Jersey Arms
70 Jersey Road, Buckland

Located diagonally opposite the still-thriving Winchester Arms, at the junction of Langley Road and Jersey Road, the Jersey Arms was a small Brickwood’s owned pub that ceased trading many decades ago. By 1918 the premises was listed as being an off-licence owned by a Mr George Saunders. It is now a residential property.

Photographed 19th July 2007 (by Rob Hall).


The Jubilee Tavern
15 Jubilee Terrace, Southsea

The Grade II listed Jubilee Tavern traded under this name for over 150 years and occupied a prominent corner building, dating from 1809. Originally part of the Lush Brewery, the house passed to Portsmouth United Breweries and subsequently Brickwood’s before being taken over by Whitbread in 1971. The pub consisted of a single bar area and had a varied clientele, most of whom were drawn from the immediate locality.

Close to Southsea Common and within easy walking distance of Clarence Pier and Old Portsmouth, the pub somehow never manged to capitalise on its prime location and by early 2007 was opening only occasionally. By November of that year it was rumoured to have been purchased for conversion to offices – however, the premises later reopened as an Italian restaurant, which remains trading to this day.

Photographs, left to right: 27th January 2008; 30th September 2006; 11th May 1989.

 

Next Page…