77 Unicorn Street, Portsea
see Freemasons & Military Arms
99 Somers Road, Southsea
Located on Somers Road, one block south from the Traveller’s Rest, the original pub on this site started life as the Morning Star in around 1886 and survived until 1906, by which time it had been renamed. The Kimberley was rebuilt in familiar brewers tudor style by Brickwood’s and finally closed its doors in 1982, at a time when Portsmouth was losing many of its local pubs. The building spent a brief spell as a tea room before being converted to a hostel.
Far left-hand photograph: 14th August 2005. Second left-hand photograph 1980 (courtesy of Steve Payne).
The King & Queen
9 The Hard, Portsea
This 18th century ale tavern stood side-by-side with four other public houses in an area once famous for its high concentration of licensed premises. The pub was once owned by Blake’s Brewery of Gosport and leased to nearby Brickwood’s until that company took over the former in 1926. The house was rebuilt in 1924 to a design by A E Cogswell and continued trading until 1987. The owner at that time, Whitbread, then had the pub knocked through to the adjacent Ship Anson, to form one large bar. From that time the King & Queen name ceased to be.
The King & Queen
High Street, Cosham
Photographed in the days when Cosham High Street retained its Victorian character, the King & Queen was a Long’s Brewery house standing mid-terrace amongst the town’s many shops. The pub also once housed a small brewery to the rear, though this was unlikely to be operational in this picture, dating from the early 20th century.
Left-hand photograph kindly supplied by J Taylor.
The King George V
83/85 Cottage View (formerly 1 Bishop Street), Landport
Located at the corner of Cottage View and Railway View in Landport, this pub was closed in the 1980s and converted to residential use. Fortunately the premises still sports its original tiling, with the pub’s name clearly prominent at first floor level – the tiled fascia was thankfully revealed once again during a restoration of the building’s exterior in the early 2000s, as seen in the left-hand photograph.
Colour photographs, left to right: 4th February 2007; 18th February 1990.
1940s photograph kindly supplied by Neil Deville.
2/4 Gunner Street, Buckland
Originally known as the Carpenters Arms, this small street corner local occupied a plot at the junction of Gunner Street and Timpson Street. The whole area has since been completely redeveloped, with Gunner Street being erased from the map and only a short section of Timpson Street surviving into the 21st century. Once part of the Jewell Brewery estate, the pub passed to Brickwood’s in around 1934 and was renamed the Kingfisher. Toward the end of its life it was run by Dorchester’s Eldridge Pope Brewery and served its last pints in 1970, being demolished in December of that year to allow for the aforementioned redevelopment to go ahead.
Photograph kindly supplied by Richard Sheath.
The Kingston Tavern
62 Kingston Road, Buckland
This mid-terraced, late-Victorian tavern was built in 1898 to replace a previous pub known as the Brewery Tap. Designed by A E Cogswell, the pub traded continuously as the Kingston Tavern from 1900 until its eventual demise.
Throughout its life it was owned by a succession of local breweries, including the Bransbury brewery at the turn of the 20th century and Portsmouth’s large United brewery throughout the war years. Brickwood’s takeover of United saw the pub come into new ownership during the 1950s until London-based Whitbread entered Portsmouth in 1971 to buy out and eventually close Brickwood’s.
Surprisingly, the Kingston managed to survive for longer than many of its less fortunate neighbours. Whitbread embarked on a ruthless spate of pub closures across the city throughout the late 1970s and early 80s, yet the Kingston avoided a similar fate. Indeed, the pub was given a pleasant makeover in the early 1990s, which despite the loss of the original island bar counter, left the pub with a smart, single-roomed interior.
However, the Kingston still struggled to attract the right clientele and after a spate of temporary closures it shut up shop for the final time in 1999 following the death of a customer due to negligence by the licensee. It was converted to apartments at the turn of the century, being given the baffling name Jade Mews.
Colour photographs, left to right: mid-1990s; 14th August 1988; November 1998 (kindly supplied by Ray Scarfe); unknown date.
10 Addison Road, Southsea
Now one of many anonymous residential properties across the city that once housed a licensed premises, the former Kipling could be found at 10 Addison Road, on the corner of Grenville Road. The premises spent much of its life as an off-licence and grocery store, though it would appear that it spent a brief time as a public house, owned by Brickwood’s, prior to its demise in around 1934.
Photographed 21st July 2007 (courtesy Rob Hall).