The Lads Of The Village
113 Somers Road, Southsea
Part of Gosport’s Blake’s Brewery at the time that this photograph was taken, the Lads of the Village had become part of the extensive Brickwood’s estate by the mid 1930s. Occupying a prominent corner spot at the junction of Somers Road and Lower Forbury Road, Somerstown, the house can be added to a long list of other pubs in the area that were demolished long ago.
Photograph kindly supplied by Michael Smith.
249 Fratton Road, Fratton
see The Contented Pig
The Lion Brewery Tap
13 London Road, North End
This familiar brewers tudor fronted building in North End’s busy shopping district was once home to the Lion Brewery Tap, who’s beers were brewed in the buildings to the rear (which also still stand) on Pitcroft Lane. The brewery ended up in the hands of Brickwood’s in 1910 following a series of takeovers and mergers and by 1970 had been converted to a factory. The pub itself has also long since been converted to retail use – notably the award-winning Churchill’s fish and chip shop, as depicted in this photograph.
Photographed 24th July 2007 (courtesy Rob Hall).
The Lennox Arms
92 Commercial Road, Landport
Constructed in 1888 to replace a pub of the same name, the Lennox Arms was owned by Chichester’s Henty Brewery (later Henty & Constable) and was one of a number of inns and taverns that stood in the same city centre terrace, outside Portsmouth & Southsea station (the awning of Judds Railway Hotel can clearly be seen behind the Lennox, at No.98). By the time the photograph was taken the pub was in the hands of Guildford company Friary Meux and was facing imminent closure together with its neighbours, Judds and the Bristol Arms. Demolition followed later the same year (1973) to allow for the widening of Station Street and the opening up of the frontage to the railway station.
Photographed early 1973 by Geoff Marsh.
The London Tavern
8 The Hard, Portsea
Located mid-terrace among a number of other hostelries, the London Tavern was a Long’s pub that later passed into Brickwood’s hands following that company’s acquisition of the former. Latterly known as the Old London, the pub was a victim of a bombing raid in 1940 and never rebuilt. Its narrow plot is now home to the Ship Anson’s patio garden.
The Lone Yachtsman (Union Tavern)
65 Broad Street, Old Portsmouth
see The Spice Island Inn (Current Pubs section)
The Lord Clive
1/3 Brookfield Road, Fratton
Built in 1898 on the corner of Brookfield Road and Guildford Road in Fratton’s densely populated terraced streets, the Lord Clive was owned by Portsea brewer Brickwood’s and latterly Whitbread. The pub remained trading until 1986 when planning premission was granted to convert the premises to flats. Note that the bracket for the inn sign remains in situ in the left-hand photograph, taken two decades after the pub’s closure.
Colour photograph 14th August 2005.
The Lord Hood
20 Rutland Street, Southsea
Stood on the corner of Rutland Street and Gloucester Street in a neighbourhood that has changed in all recognition since World War II, the Lord Hood was Brickwood’s pub that traded until around 1940, after which it appears to have disappeared from the records. A possible casualty of the blitz? The post war Somerstown estate now occupies the site of these now-lost streets. The photograph below dates from 1921.
The Lord Nelson
469 Commercial Road, Rudmore
Another pub to once occupy an area that has long since disappeared beneath the tarmac of what is now Mile End Road, the Lord Nelson was a medium-sized, detached Victorian local that was given a trademark glazed brick and mosaic tiled exterior by owner Brickwood’s. The house was once run by the Bransbury Brewery before passing into ownership of the Portsea brewer later in the 19th century. By the time the pub closed for the last time in 1973 it was in the hands of national brewer Whitbread.
The Lord Roberts
7 Twyford Avenue, Stamshaw
Starting life as the curiously-named New Found Out, the Lord Roberts adopted its latter name in around 1910. Stood on the corner of Silverlock Street, close to where the Rudmore flyover now stands, the pub was owned by the Young’s Brewery of Portsmouth from Victorian times until 1934. It then spent a short time as part of the Peters Brewery estate before being swallowed up by Guildford’s Friary Meux in 1959. By 1964 the pub was in the hands of Burton giant Ind Coope. The pub survived as late as 1970, when major redevelopment of the area saw its closure and subsequent demolition.
Thanks go to Pam Conway for the left-hand and centre images shown below (with additional acknowledgment to Rob Hall).
The Lucknow Tavern
259 Somers Road North, Landport
Located immediately north of the railway bridge, on the corner of Canal Walk, this pub and hotel was originally owned by the Pike Brewery, although the photograph below shows glimpses of Long’s Brewery livery at both parapet level and on the pub’s fascia. Records show that the site was bombed in 1941, though the photo, dating from 1946, shows the building very much intact – possibly the result of a rebuild. In 1949 the pub was documented as being converted to the headquarters for the Portsmouth Scouts.
Photographed 12th September 1946.