38/40 Isambard Brunel Road, Landport
Built in 1976 as part of the new Isambard Brunel Road scheme, the Navigators existed mainly to serve local workers from the civic centre offices – evening trade being somewhat light. The explosion in licensed premises along nearby Guildhall Walk in the 1990s affected the pub badly and contributed to its closure in 1998. The house was converted to offices in 2001, with demolition of the site taking place over the winter of 2016/17 to make way for more university halls of residence.
Photographs, left to right: 18th February 1990; March 1999 (by Ray Scarfe).
The Navy Tavern
1 Half Moon Street, Portsea
Dating from the late 18th century, the Navy Tavern stood immediately outside the dockyard’s Main Gate (now Victory Gate), on an island plot at the junction of The Hard. The pub also briefly acquired the names the Army & Navy Tavern and the Marquis of Lorne at various stages of its life, though it was as the Navy Tavern that it was best known. Once part of the small Bransbury Brewery estate, the house also spent time under the ownership of Brickwood’s and Long’s (as seen in the photograph). The pub traded until around 1940, when it may have become the victim of a German air raid. The plot of land on which the premises once stood was never redeveloped.
The Nelson Hotel
101A Victoria Road South, Southsea
The Nelson Hotel was built in 1898 at the junction of Victoria Road South and St Vincent Road. Prior to this date, pubs with the names the Nelson’s Arms and the Nelson Inn stood on the site. The house remained trading until late 1981, at which time it was closed and converted to flats, as so many of the city’s pubs have been over the last thirty years or so. Luckily, the building still survives and is easily recognizable as a former pub to this day.
Colour photograph 4th August 2005.
The New House
135/137 Fratton Road, Fratton
A bakery and grocery shop in Victorian times, this premises is later recorded as becoming a brewhouse in 1880, though it would appear that a bakery continued to operate here for at least another decade. The property stood next door to another pub, the Guardsman (also now closed) and was under the ownership of Blakes of Gosport by 1891, being leased to Portsea’s Brickwood Brewery until at least the mid-1930s. The New House continued to trade as a beer retailer until 1958 – thereafter being converted to alternative retail use. Today it houses a hairdressing salon.
Photographed 29th November 2015.
The New Inn
164 Havant Road, Drayton
This three-storey 19th century inn on the main road from Cosham to Farlington was a traditional local, frequented by patrons of all ages from the local community. Sadly, by the turn of the 21st century, the pub began to stuggle financially and owner Punch Taverns found difficulty in securing a long-term tenant. In the spring of 2010 the pub was purchased by local businessman Abdul Ahad and was eventually reopened as an Indian restaurant.
Photographs, left to right: 11th March 2007; May 2001 (by Ray Scarfe); unknown date.
The New Railway Inn
79 Copnor Road, Copnor
Constructed around the turn of the 20th Century, the New Railway Inn occupied a plot on the west side of Copnor Road, roughly opposite its junction with Stapleton Road. Named after the railway line that passed nearby, the pub was once owned by the Long’s Brewery and subsequently Brickwood’s before being taken over by Whitbread in 1971. Closure came in 1980 and demolition followed in July of that year. The plot is now occupied by a small terrace of houses.
Photograph kindly supplied by Paul Emery.
The New Road Inn
17 New Road, Buckland
A typical street corner local, the New Road Inn could be found at the junction with Balliol Road. Part of the Long’s Brewery estate in the 19th century, the pub later came under ownership of Brickwood’s and thereafter Whitbread, when the latter took control of the Portsea brewer in 1971. The house survived a further decade before becoming another victim of Whitbread’s ruthless pub closure programme in 1981. The property is now an anonymous pair of flats.
Left-hand photograph 15th July 2007.
The New Roebuck
76 New Road, Buckland
Constructed in 1887 to a design by architect C W Ball, this Victorian corner house was once owned the Pike Spicer Brewery before later becoming part of the vast Brickwood’s estate during the 1930s. Unusual for not being designed with two or more bar rooms, the New Roebuck featured a single U-shaped drinking area, with a long bar counter stretching down the centre of the pub.
Diminishing trade in the early 21st century saw the pub begin to struggle and opening hours had become somewhat sporadic by 2010. A planning application was submitted in the latter part of that year to convert the pub into flats. By May 2011, consent had been given and work was soon underway, leaving New Road with just two remaining pubs. The building now houses a convenience store on the ground floor, with private accommodation on the upper storeys.
Photographs, left to right: 14th August 2005; 13th July 2008; 14th August 1988.
The Nine Elms Tavern
81 Commercial Road (now 8 Guildhall Walk), Landport.
This small Victorian terraced pub has stood on what was once Commercial Road for around 150 years. With its name carved in stone at roof level, the pub was originally part of the Lush Brewery before passing to Portsmouth United Breweries in the early 20th century. The pub survived until the early 1970s before falling into dereliction and subsequently being converted to a restaurant. In the mid 1980s the building formed part of the new Ellie Jay’s ‘fun pub’ and remained in this guise until the late 1990s when it once again closed. It later reopened as part of the countrywide Po Na Na chain of nightclubs. By 2007 the premises was trading as a stripper house and nowadays forms part of the Fuzzy (previously Fuzzy Duck) late-night club bar (see photographs).
Colour photograph 18th March 2007.
The Nine Elms Tavern
97 Grigg Street, Southsea
Located on what later became St Paul’s Road, where Portsmouth and Southsea merge, The Nine Elms was a three storey, narrow Victorian beerhouse which, in 1911 was leased to Portsmouth United Breweries by the Long’s Brewery. The following decade the pub was renamed the Five Alls and ended up as part of the Brickwood’s portfolio. The pub survived until 1958 when it was closed and demolished.
The Northsea Arms
94 Twyford Avenue, Stamshaw
Standing mid-terrace among the dense housing of Stamshaw, the former Northsea Arms now shows little evidence of its previous life as a public house, as can be seen in the left-hand photograph. Once owned by Brickwood’s, the house ceased trading in 1981 (a poor year for pub closures across the city) and then-owner Whitbread sought planning permission to have the premises converted to housing.
Left-hand photograph 15th July 2007. Right-hand photograph kindly supplied by A Jarvis.