207 Goldsmith Avenue, Southsea
A E Cogswell’s imposing Talbot on Goldsmith Avenue was constructed in 1896, in half-timbered brewers tudor style, to service the local inhabitants and those using the adjacent Fratton railway station. Built for Brickwood’s brewery, the building still retains its original livery despite not having served any ale since 1981, when it was closed and converted to a hostel.
Left-hand photograph 3rd January 2005. Right-hand photography 1980 (courtesy of Steve Payne).
61/63 Tangier Road, Baffins
Another architectural gem by A E Cogswell, the Tangier was built in 1912 for Portsmouth United Breweries and features large tiled murals on the frontage, including one of Tangiers Market at the entrance. The pub retained its two distinctively separate bars throughout its trading life – a comfortable lounge to the left and a larger public bar on the right as you enter. Sadly, in the latter few years that the pub was open, it suffered from not only a lack of sustainable custom, but also began to attract some less attractive elements of society. Following a period of closure, planning consent was given in October 2013 to allow the ground floor of the Grade II listed pub to be converted to a convenience store, with the upper storeys being transformed into private flats. However, as of March 2015, the ground floor of the pub remains vacant and externally intact.
Photographs, left to right: 4th February 2007; 13th July 2008; April 2002 (by Ray Scarfe); April 2002 (by Ray Scarfe); 28th April 1991.
The Temperance Hotel
St George’s Road, Old Portsmouth
Located on the corner of Warblington Street and St George’s Road, opposite the Gloucester Hotel, the Temperance Hotel can be seen behind the two horsemen on the left-hand side of the photograph. No other details available at this time.
The Taswell Arms
42 Taswell Road, Southsea
This former Pike’s Brewery pub existed on this street corner for well over 100 years. Built originally as a hotel, the pub was once a popular, comfortable pub located in a pleasant residential part of Southsea. The Taswell became a student favourite in the 1990s but closed for an extended period later in that decade before reopening at the end of the century. Trade steadily declined thereafter and a change in licensee failed to improve the business. By early 2012 the pub had served its last customers and in February of that year the internal fittings were removed and signage dismantled, as the building began its transformation into a private residence.
Photographs, left to right: 6th August 2005; 13th July 2008; 11th May 1989.
The Three Crowns
10 St James’s Street, Portsea
A pub named the Three Crowns can be traced back on St James’s Street as far as the 18th century. During the mid 19th century the pub was owned by Henty’s Brewery of Chichester and thereafter by Brickwood’s (see right-hand photograph). By the late 1970s the house was in the hands of national brewer Whitbread and during the 1990s it received a deserved refit. It remained a popular, comfortable pub, used mainly by locals, along with students from the local university buildings. A rare example of a true, traditional local in Portsea.
The death knell for the pub came in 2007 when the premises was purchased by a local property developer. A hand-written sign placed in the window read “Closed until further notice”, although this may just have well read “Closed forever” as it was never the owner’s intention to reopen the premises. A planning application was submitted in the summer of 2007 to demolish the pub and build a four storey block of flats on the site. Sadly, the city planners backed this idea and permission was granted on 14th November 2007. However, the developers subsequently pulled out of the plan, but not before knocking down the pub and leaving an empty plot. A considerable time passed before the site was eventually redeveloped.
Colour photographs, left to right: 28th March 2005; 25th July 2007; 11th May 1989; March 1999 (by Ray Scarfe).
The Thurloe Arms
261 Arundel Street (formerly 179 Fratton Street), Fratton
One of many public houses that could once be found along the length of Arundel Street, the Thurloe Arms was a Victorian cornerhouse, built to an understated design by Arthur Cogswell and very similar to his Jameson Arms which still stands on nearby Church Street (see elsewhere on this site). The pub occupied the junction of Arundel Street and St John’s Road, where the Holbrook Road roundabout is now located. Once owned by the tiny Cosham Steam Brewery, the house latterly became part of the PUB estate until being absorbed into Brickwood’s portfolio in the 1950s. The Thurloe continued to trade until the mid ’60s and was demolished in 1966.
The image below shows the Thurloe stood diagonally opposite the camera, with the original Black Dog seen facing it across the road at number 263.
Photographed 19th September 1946 (historic Ordnance Survey image).
102/104 (formerly 82/83) St George’s Square, Portsea
This substantial building stood on an island plot at the centre of St George’s Square, in an area that has changed beyond all recognition since the 1940s. Owned by the Totterdell family throughout much of its existence, the business traded for over one hundred years and this was proudly proclaimed on the hotel façade. By 1923 the hotel has been acquired by Portsmouth United Breweries. The premises was the victim of a bombing raid in 1940 and the abandoned building can be seen in the photograph below.
16 Edinburgh Road, Landport
This was J D Wetherspoon’s most recent pub conversion on Portsea Island and the first of its Lloyds No.1 brand. Housed within the deceptively large, Grade II listed Trafalgar House (a former Church of England Soldiers and Sailors Institute), the premises includes a fine mural in one of the first floor rooms, depicting various scenes of early 20th century Portsea Island life, rediscovered during conversion of the premises prior to the pub’s opening.
The pub was a veritable rabbit warren – a sprawling, multi-leveled pub which suffered from a lack of natural light, as the majority of its floorspace was devoid of any significant fenestration. The Trafalgar was one of a number of houses that the Company identified as underperforming in early 2016 and deemed surplus to requirement. It served its last customers in the summer of that year and is now (February 2017) awaiting conversion to student accommodation. It’s hoped that the aforementioned mural is retained and preserved for the enjoyment of the building’s future occupants.
Colour photograph 19th September 2004.
The Tramway Arms
1 Kingston Road, Buckland
The former Tramway Arms dominates the southern extremity of Kingston Road and still bears the distinctive Portsmouth United Breweries cypher at roof level. The pub later became part of the Brickwood’s estate before being closed by Whitbread in the early 1980s. It was used as office space for some years until being converted to a successful Indian restaurant in the spring of 2004.
Left-hand photograph 2004.
The Traveller’s Joy
253 Milton Road, Milton
This pub name existed on this site since at least the early 19th century and was once owned by the Peters Brewery. The pictured house had a public bar at the front, with a larger lounge at the rear. Owned by Friary Meux (Allied Brewers) until the 1990s, the house later became part of Punch Taverns’ portfolio. In its last years of operating it became increasingly run down, though remained popular when Portsmouth FC were playing home fixtures. In mid 2010 a planning application was submitted to replace the pub with flats and a veterinary surgery. The house finally closed its doors in April 2011 and demolition soon followed.
Photographs (left to right): 15th July 2007; 13th July 2008; 26th May 2011; 28th April 1991; December 1994 (by Ray Scarfe); December 1994 (by Ray Scarfe).
The Traveller’s Rest
12 St Mary’s Road, Fratton
Now one of four former pubs that once stood within a few hundred yards of each other on St Mary’s Road, the Traveller’s Rest overlooked St Mary’s Church from its position at the corner of Woodland Street. Trading from Victorian times, the pub survived until as recently as 1980, when it was converted to a business premises before later becoming the Viking Health Club. The premises is now used as housing.
Photographed 15th July 2007.
The Traveller’s Rest
117 Somers Road, Southsea
This traditional local featured an unusual single storey area at the front of house – presumably a later extension to compliment the original Cogswell design. The pub had a two bar interior and for many years was owned by Burton brewer Bass – one of only six such pubs in the city in the 1980s. The house has unfortunately stood empty for many years, with no likelihood of it ever reopening.
Photographs, left to right: 14th August 2005; 13th July 2008; 18th February 1990.
The True Blue
1 Landport Street, Southsea
Originally stood on the corner of Landport Street and Hampshire Street, the latter was renamed Lansdowne Street, possibly to avoid confusion with a similarly-named road in Buckland. Little is known about this former pub, save that it sold its last beer in 1931, when it was converted to a private house. Miraculously the premises managed to survive both World War II and the wrath of post-war developers. Now known as Sutton House, it remains an interesting survivor amidst the ugly nearby council properties.
Photographed 1st February 2009.
The True Blue
37 Broad Street, Old Portsmouth
Closed for well over a century, the building that once housed the True Blue can still be found at 37 Broad Street, in an area which was once home to dozens of public houses. The pub can be traced as trading until around 1867. Nowadays it is a private house.
Photographed 15th July 2007.