Lost Pubs – V

The Victoria & Albert
11 The Hard, Portsea

Dating from 1897, the Victoria & Albert was opened by the Lush Brewery and replaced an earlier pub of the same name. Located next door to the Ship Anson, the building was designed by A E Cogswell and was one of a large number of drinking establishments located on The Hard, or Common Hard as it was once named in Victorian times. The pub was leased to Portsmouth United Breweries in 1911 and only survived until 1932, when it was converted to a tobacconists. The building now houses a newsagent and café.

Left-hand photograph 15th July 2007.


The Victoria Hotel
1 Wiltshire Street, Southsea

This 19th century street corner pub was originally known as the Volunteer Arms until reopening in 1892 as the Victoria Hotel. The building is a rare survivor among the hundreds of other pubs and beerhouses that could once be found in this part of the city. Virtually all of them have since fallen victim of either the bulldozer or the bomb with only a handful of former pubs still standing in this neighbourhood. The Victoria traded until 1976 when it served its last pints. By 1980 it had been converted into student accommodation. The building sports some interesting architecture and third floor and roof levels.

Left-hand photograph 15th July 2007.


The Victoria Tavern
Battery Row, Old Portsmouth

Stood at the junction of Battery Row and High Street, opposite the Square Tower, this old pub existed in the 1850s and ’60s. Today it is a private property by the name of Victoria House.

Photographed 16th March 2015


The Victory Inn
80 Charlotte Street, Landport

Another of Charlotte Street’s many public houses – the Victory was an ornately-tiled Brickwood’s house that stood on the corner of Conway Street. The pub served its last pints in 1964 and demolition followed soon after, in preparation for the construction of the new Tricorn Centre.


The Viking
165 Arundel Street, Landport

Another post war pub built to service the inhabitants of the sprawling Landport estate, the Viking on Arundel Street finally closed its doors for the final time in 2003. Demolition soon followed and the plot is now home to a small apartment block. This form of pub architecture has since become extinct on Portsea Island, with the last remaining similar pub, the Alexandra on Wingfield Street, being converted to a convenience store in 2013.

Photographs, left to right: 18th February 1990; April 2002 (by Ray Scarfe).


The Villiers Inn
69 Palmerston Road, Southsea

The Villiers Inn opened its doors in early November 2008 – the latest in a growing chain of bars owned by local businessman Mike Hughes. Housed in the former Sur La Mer restaurant premises, the pub consisted of a long, narrow bar room, which was split-level at the rear. The Villiers initially served a good selection of up to six real ales, along with a standard selection of keg beers and lagers, plus a comprehensive wine list, but trade proved to be a lot slower than expected – not helped by a number of other pubs on the same street. The pub changed hands in early 2011 and now trades as a wine bar/bistro.

Photographed 19th November 2008.


The Vine
23 Lombard Street, Old Portsmouth

The Vine can be traced back to the early part of the 18th century, occupying an historic terrace on one of Portsmouth’s most well-preserved streets. One of at least four pubs to have traded on this road, the Vine can nowadays be identified by its prominent name above the entrance door to what is now a private residence. A Pike Spicer pub for much of its later life, the tavern had become part of Brickwood’s estate by 1910 and served its last pints in 1916.

Photographed 16th March 2015

 

Next Page…