The Warriors Arms
76 Highbury Street (formerly St Mary’s Street), Old Portsmouth
This 19th century beerhouse was owned by United Breweries and located next door to John Pounds’ workshop. The pub ceased trading in 1934, was delicenced and converted to a residential property. It was later demolished.
The Waterloo Inn
83 Commercial Road (now 4-6 Guildhall Walk), Landport
Occupying the premises immediately next door to the Nine Elms Tavern, the Waterloo Inn was owned by the Simmonds Brewery in the late nineteenth century. By the 1930s it had become part of the Brickwood’s estate, passing into the hands of Whitbread in 1971. The pub survived until 1976 and swiftly fell into dereliction. By 1990 it had been restored as a nightclub and later became part of the Ellie Jays ‘fun pub’. Nowadays it houses the Fuzzy nightclub.
Photographed 18th March 2007.
The Welcome Home
60 Kilmiston Road, Fratton
This Victorian street corner local was located off Fratton Road at 60 Kilmiston Street and was part of the Peters Brewery estate. The pub lasted until the late 1920s. The pub, along with the street itself, has long since disappeared from the map.
21 Queen Street, Portsea
This street corner pub started life as the Lion in 1858 and also spent some years as the Red Lion. In 1906 it was renamed the Western after the licensee. Originally owned by the Pike Brewery, it later became part of the Brickwood’s chain. The pub lasted only a short time after this photograph was taken, during World War II, as it was the victim of a bombing raid in 1944. The pub was eventually rebuilt and reopened as the Blue Anchor (see elsewhere in the Lost Pubs section of this site).
41 (73) Hyde Park Road, Southsea
Situated at the junction of Hyde Park Road and the long-gone Marylebone Street, the Wheatsheaf was owned in Victorian times by John Anderson of the tiny Newtown Brewery on Commercial Road. The original pub was demolished and rebuilt in 1904 to a design by Arthur Cogswell for Portsmouth United Breweries. Later owned by Brickwood’s, the pub closed in 1954. The Wheatsheaf stood immediately north of what is now Winston Churchill Avenue, close to the Magistrates’ Court.
1 Kent Road, Southsea
This 18th century inn was one of the oldest in Portsmouth and was once known as Wheelbarrow Cottage. Later the Castle Hotel, it was around the turn of the 20th century that the pub received the extension at the front of the building. Known for a brief spell as Wheelies in the 1980s, the pub thankfully regained its proper name later that decade. However, another name change courtesy of Whitbread’s marketing department came in the mid ’90s when the house reopened as part of the short-lived Tut ‘n’ Shive chain before once again reverting to its proper name.
Throughout the early 21st century the pub became increasingly rundown and, presumably due to poor marketing, wasn’t able to capitalize on its prominent position facing Southsea Common. By October 2009 the upper floors were being stripped out for refurbishment and it was rumoured that the bar area would follow suit that winter. Sadly, nothing came of this and the pub stood empty for another year. By July 2011 the Wheelbarrow had reopened as a licensed coffee house by the name of Sellers, acknowledging the fact that actor and comedian Peter Sellers was born in the house opposite. In 2013 Sellers was relaunched as Reykjavík 101 – an Icelandic themed café bar selling bottled beers from Icelandic brewers. Even this guise was short-lived, with the foreign theme being dropped in late 2014 for a return to the Sellers name.
Photographs, left to right: 14th August 2005;13th July 2008; 11th May 1989.
215 Kingston Road, Buckland
Yet another pub situated on Kingston Road, Buckland, the Whitehall was one of three that closed its doors around the turn of the 21st century, suffering an arson attack shortly afterwards. However, the bar was refitted internally but remained empty for over three years after. A planning application to erect new flats on the site was submitted in 2005 and demolition followed in August of that year.
Photographs, left to right: 14th August 1988; June 1995 (by Ray Scarfe).
The White Bear
187 Queen Street, Portsea
A pub by the name of the White Bear can be traced back on Queen Street to the late 18th century. It was known to have been owned by the Bransbury Brewery prior to 1880 before being taken over by Brickwood’s for the remainder of its life. The house survived until 1956, at a time when many of Portsea’s pubs were rapidly disappearing.
The White Hart
5 Britain Street, Portsea
This 19th century three storey, street corner local was once part of the Jewell’s Brewery estate, later passing to Brickwood’s and thereafter Mew Langton of Arundel Street (in whose livery the pub appears in the photograph below). Located on the corner of Dean Street, in an area which is today unrecognisable from that shown in the photo, the pub traded until the early 1970s, by which time it had been inherited by national brewer Whitbread. By 1973 the house stood derelict following a fire and was eventually demolished, along with the majority of the surrounding buildings, in order for the area to be redeveloped.
The White Hart
Kingston Cross, North End
This imposing building is a familiar sight to the thousands of motorists and pedestrians that pass through Kingston Cross on a daily basis. The present building dates from 1938 and was designed for Brickwood’s by Portsmouth’s most famous pub architect A E Cogswell, replacing an earlier pub of the same name (see separate entry below). The buiding survived as a pub until 1977, at which time it was converted to offices and renamed Anchor House. The right-hand photograph is worth comparing to the similarly-designed Cumberland Tavern, which is pictured elsewhere in the Lost Pubs section of this website.
Colour photograph 15th July 2007.
The White Hart
27 The Hard, Portsea
Yet another pub that could once be found on The Hard, the White Hart stood next to the Keppel’s Head Hotel. A pub by this name can be traced back on this site as far as the late 18th century, at a time when the majority of buildings on this street were public houses (due to the proximity of the adjacent naval dockyard). The pub closed many decades ago and was converted to other use. However, the building was purchased in 1997 by the licensee of the neighbouring Lady Hamilton, with a view to converting the building back to a pub once more. This plan sadly never came to fruition and the premises changed hands once again, being reopened as a betting shop in 2002.
Photographed 15th July 2007.
The White Hart Hotel
116 Kingston Crescent, North End
The White Hart existed on this site, close to the junction with London Road, since the early 18th century. The building depicted in the photograph lasted until the 1930s and was rebuilt in 1938 in a bolder style by architect A E Cogswell (see separate entry above). Once part of the Pike Brewery estate, the hotel later became part of Brickwood’s, as shown here. Note the small coaching entrance, with the wording “Good stabling storage for cycles” written above.
The White House
74/76 Ernest Road, Kingston
The White House stood mid-terrace on Ernest Road and traded until 1982. Converted by Cogswell for Portsmouth United Breweries from two houses in the first decade of the 20th century, the glazed brickwork, pub name and PUB cypher is still prominent at first floor level, along with its original decorative finials at roof height. The pub later became part of Brickwood’s large estate, as seen in the centre photograph. Following closure, the pub was converted to flats.
Colour photograph 14th August 2005.
The White House
Eastney Road, Milton
This prominent Victorian tavern sited at a busy road junction retained its name for around 150 years. The pub once stood on the abandoned Portsmouth and Arundel Canal. The pub was frequented mostly by locals, though its sizeable car park meant that it was sometimes able to take advantage of passing trade. The pub retained separate lounge and public bars, plus a pool room, though the interior as a whole became rather spartan in latter years, with the walls painted in a bright blue and white combination (see photos) lending a rather cold feel to the pub.
The pub underwent a change of management in June 2011, though sadly was unable to attract any increase in clientele. The freehold was put on the market in August 2011, with offers in the region of £450,000 being invited – making the pub a decidedly unattrative proposition as a going concern to any potential purchaser. Ass a consequence the inevitable closure soon followed. Demolition crews moved in during March of 2013 and the large plot of land was used to build as many residential properties as possible.
Photographs, left to right: 3rd January 2005; 13th July 2008; 11th August 2011; 11th August 2011; September 1998 (by Ray Scarfe); 11th May 1989.
The White Lion
386 Commercial Road, Landport
The White Lion was located on the corner of Providence Place, where the conservation area of Old Commercial Road can now be found. The pub passed through the hands of breweries such as Allen’s, United and Brickwood’s until last orders was finally called some time in the 1960s. The building was demolished in June of 1971.
The Wig & Pen
1 Landport Terrace, Southsea
One of Portsmouth’s most attractive pubs, this house was originally known as the Balmoral, as shown in the black and white photographs below. This name survived for well over one hundred years. In 1982 it became the Wig & Pen (its name reflecting the large number of solicitors’ offices nearby) and was successfully run by local beer champion Tony Mitchell and his wife, Wendy. Sadly, the pub company that owned the Wig & Pen at that time did not share the Mitchells’ interest in quality real ales and continually tried to prevent the licensees from serving beers that had been sourced outside the company’s portfolio. This led to the inn sign being removed by the Mitchells and replaced with one depicting a white elephant, to symbolise what they and their regulars believed (prophetically) what the house would become if it lost its interesting range of ales.
Soon after, the Mitchells departed to run their own free house nearby and the Wig & Pen was subsequently ruined by the pubco, that chose to rename it Seamus O’Donnell’s – adopting a fake Irish theme. Thankfully, as predicted by the Mitchells and their customers, this guise lasted only a few years due to a lack of custom and the pub thankfully reverted to the Wig & Pen. The house thereafter become a popular venue and began to gain a reputation for its quality home cooked food.
As the UK economy began to slide, the pub changed hands a number of times during its last five years of trading – and opening times began to become somewhat hit-and-miss – something that didn’t help the pub build a sustained trade. In 2012 the ground floor was converted to a café, with the upper storeys becoming private flats.
Colour photographs, left to right: 4th February 2007; April 2002 (by Ray Scarfe); 11th May 1989.
8 Elm Road, Mile End
Dating from Victorian times, this small street corner local could be found at the junction of Elm Road and Grafton Street, a short distance from the Market House Tavern. Originally a Jewell’s Brewery pub, the house became part of the Brickwood estate in 1899, with whom it remained until serving its final pints. The Windmill was demolished in 1970 – the area soon after becoming home to the hideous Estella Road flats that blight the approach into the city centre to this day.
Photograph kindly supplied by Glenn Eves.
The Windmill & Sawyer
30 Copenhagen Street, Landport
This three-storey cornerhouse stood at the junction of Copenhagen Street and Unicorn Road, directly outside the dockyard’s Unicorn Gate. This proximity means that it must once have been extremely busy with dockers and naval ratings in bygone years. Dating from the mid 19th century, the house served its last customers in 1967, after which it was demolished to make way for the eastward expansion of the dockyard.
Photograph kindly supplied by J Taylor.
The Wonkey Donkey
13 Victoria Road South, Southsea
Opened in 2004 in the former Rickshaw’s restaurant, this long, narrow bar room had a large number of television screens dotted around the walls. A pool table could be found at the rear and the bar counter ran along the right-hand wall, opposite which was the main seating area. The pub had a varied clientele, though leant mainly toward younger drinkers. One real ale was available when the Webmaster visited the premises on opening night. By November 2007 the pub, along with its sister bar next door, was closed and undergoing conversion to what became the Fat Fox pub.
Photographed 19th September 2004.
113 Medina Road, Wymering
This traditional, 1930s estate pub situated close to the Old Wymering conservation area in Cosham ceased trading in late 2010, being a victim of the recession and subsequent governments’ seemingly tireless campaigns to kill off the UK pub trade by way of draconian taxes. Once a Whitbread house, the pub spent its last years in the hands of national pubco Punch Taverns before being sold off to developers.
The pub was earmarked for redevelopment in 2011 and this was fought by local residents, in an effort to keep the building standing for use by the community. The battle was sadly lost and by mid 2012 the Wymering had been demolished to make way for yet more flats.
Left-hand photograph 11th March 2007.