The Cabman’s Rest³
Hyde Park Road
The inn sign depicts a cabman wearing a large cloak. Cabriolets were one-horse carriages seating up to four people and were the forerunners of the modern taxi cab.
Ordnance Row and King Street
Caledonia is the Latin name used by the Romans to refer to what is now Scotland. A pub as far south as Portsmouth may have been given the name Caledonian as an indication to sailors that the pub welcomed seamen from north of the border. The newly-renamed Caledonian Hotel in 1855 was presided over by licensee Charles Louch – the Louch family name being prevalent in the Wigtownshire area of southern Scotland at that time.
The Camber House¹
The name Camber is that given to the principal civilian dock area of Old Portsmouth, on which this pub was located. The word camber refers to a bank, for example the walls of the dock.
Most likely named after William Camden (1551-1623), an historian responsible for a major survey of the British Isles, entitled Britannia.
Lower Church Path
They may be many explanations for the name of this particular pub, though in relation to Portsmouth it is most likely that the name relates either of the following:
A canton – being a quadrant of a flag. The White Ensign – flag of the Royal Navy, for example, consists of the Cross of St George, with the Union Flag in the top left-hand canton.
A cantonment – from the French canton, meaning corner or district – is a name used in military terms to describe an encampment of soldiers waiting to be sent into action.
The Capstan Head¹
The uppermost section of a ship’s capstan – the drum-shaped device used to wind in a vessel’s ropes or chains during anchoring.
The Carpenters Arms¹
A commonplace pub name, often including an inn sign depicting three compasses, or in more modern times, various carpentry tools. The name could relate to a licensee’s previous profession, his surname, or may even be a biblical reference, as the profession of carpentry is mentioned numerous times in the bible, notably the reference to Jesus, “Is not this the carpenter’s son” [Matthew 13:55 KJV].
The Castle Bannerman³
St Mary’s Road
Likely to be named after Bannerman Castle, built on an island near Cornwall-on-Hudson, New York state by Scottish patriot Frank Bannerman VI. The Bannerman family became the world’s largest supplier of surplus military equipment and the castle was built to house the collection.
The Cat & Fiddle¹
Popularly believed to relate to the centuries-old nursery rhyme Hey Diddle Diddle, which has been in oral tradition well before appearing in print during the 19th century.
The Caulkers Arms¹
Brighton Street and Russell Street
The name caulker refers to a tradesman whose job it was to make watertight the seams of a boat or ship, by the application of hemp, jute or pitch. This would have been a common occupation of dockyard workers in bygone years.
The Royal Navy has operated six ships named HMS Centaur since the mid 18th century – the name coming from the greek mythological half-man, half-horse creature. The pub is likely named after the Sir Samuel Hood’s 1797 flagship that saw extensive service in the Caribbean, Mediterranean and Baltic seas. She was scrapped in 1819.
Named in honour of Prince Leopold Saxe Coburg of Claremont (1853-84), youngest son of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert.
The Clarence Gardens²
Named in honour of the Duke of Clarence, latterly King William IV (1765-1837), who was appointed Admiral of the Fleet in 1811, in an honourary capacity.
The Clarendon Arms¹/Tavern³
Likely named after one of the Earls of Clarendon – a family of notable politicians and Royal Naval officers throughout the 19th century. Villiers Road can be found nearby – this being the family name of the Earls of Clarendon.
The Coach & Horses
Another very popular pub name, relating to the stagecoach which once ran between Portsmouth and London.
The Coal Exchange²
This name (which has now been lost from the Portsmouth pub scene) relates to the venues where merchants would come to buy and sell coal. Coal barges continued to arrive at Portsmouth’s Camber Dock until as recently as the 1970s, when large conveyors would transport the cargo across White Hart Road to the adjacent power station.
The Coastguard Tavern³
The original Coastguard Tavern gained its name from being sited beside a row of coastguard cottages.
The Cobden Arms¹
Named after Richard Cobden (1804-65), Liberal polititian from Midhurst who played a major role in the 1846 repeal of the Corn Laws.
The Cobourg Arms¹
Sited on the street of the same name and honouring Prince Albert (1819-61), second son of Ernest III, Duke of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld – Prince Consort to Queen Victoria.
The Cock & Bottle³
The name generally refers to the fact that both draught and bottled beers are available within. Portsmouth’s example was also once named the Cork & Bottle as well as the Cock & Battle. The word ‘cock’ relates to a spigot or peg that was used to draw off beer from the barrel.
The Colliers Arms¹
Piper’s Alley, Town Quay
This old pub stood on the Camber Dock, opposite the wharf where barges delivered tons of coal to fuel Portsmouth’s power station on Gunwharf Road.
The Compass Rose
Typical nautical theme, relating to the figure displaying the orientation of cardinal points on a nautical chart or map.
The Connaught Arms³
Likely to be named after Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught (1850-1942), son of Queen Victoria. He became a Field Marshall in the British Army and was appointed as Governor General of Canada in 1911.
HMS Conqueror was the name given to a series of naval ships from the mid 18th century to present. The pub’s name may relate to the 1855 101-gun first rate ship of the line that was wrecked in the Bahamas in 1861. She was succeeded in 1862 by the renamed HMS Waterloo.
An uncertain derivitive, but possibly named after the short-lived HMS Constitution – a schooner purchased by the Royal Navy in 1835, but delisted within two years.
The Coopers Arms¹
Coopers were employed by every brewery to construct and maintain wooden casks, for the storage and transportation of beer.
The Coppersmiths Arms¹
Established by John Jago, a coppersmith who ran such a business close by in the mid 19th century.
Little Charlotte Street
A former Gales pub that was demolished to make way for the Cascades Shopping Centre. The name came from the former owners of the house – Cox & Fry.
The Cremorne Gardens²
Latterly the Mr Pickwick. The original name derives from Cremorne pleasure gardens in Chelsea, London.
Four Royal Navy ships bore the title HMS Cressy, named after the Battle of Crécy of 1346 – a significannt English victory during the Hundred Years War.
Referring to the Crimean War of 1853-56 in which an alliance of France, United Kingdom, Ottoman Empire and Sardinia combined to defeat the Russian forces.
A boat by the name of Criterion is known to have plied its trade to and from the Isle of Wight from Bournemouth during the 19th century. It is unknown whether the vessel was also a regular visitor to Portsmouth and, if so, this may be the origin of the pub’s name. More likely, however, is that the name simply implies that the pub sets the standard by which all others are judged.
The Crocodile’s Return¹
Named in honour of HMS Crocodile, a Euphrates class troop ship, used to transport servicemen to the Indian sub-continent. On 3rd November 1893 she suffered an explosion in one of her high-pressure steam cylinders whilst off the coast of Aden. The ship eventually returned to Portsmouth on 30th December under reduced power. She was retired and sent to the breaker’s the following year.
The Cross Keys
A popular pub name and a common sign in Christian heraldry, referring to St Peter who said to Jesus “I shall give unto you the keys to the kingdom of heaven”.
The Crown & Anchor¹
A crown and anchor is depicted on the badge of the Lord High Admiral and is also the arm badge of the Royal Navy’s petty officers.
The Crystal Palace¹
Named after the famous structure that was built in Hyde Park, London for the Great Exhibition of 1851. It was later resited to Upper Norwood in South East London, where it was destroyed by fire in 1936. The pub on Fawcett Road has long since been demolished.
The Cumberland Tavern³
The Duke of Cumberland was responsible for the construction of nearby Fort Cumberland around 1747.
The Curzon Howe¹
Named after Admiral the Honourable Sir Assheton Gore Curzon-Howe, KCB, CVO, CMG (1850–1911), Commander-in-Chief of the Mediterranean Fleet from 1908 to 1910.
The Cuthbert Arms¹
Named after 18th/19th century Mayor of Portsmouth, Reverend George Cuthbert.