The Dairymans Arms¹
Twyford Avenue and Church Road
The original address of the Church Road pub was Candahar Place – the hostelry being sited opposite the Candahar Dairy.
The Delhi Arms/Tavern¹
Somers Road and Seymour Street
These pubs were located on the corners of Delhi Street and Delhi Place respectively – named after the major Indian city of the British Empire.
The Derby Tavern
The inn sign depicts horses competing in the Epsom Derby. The pub stands on the corner of Lower Derby Road.
The Dew Drop Inn¹
Crasswell Street, Sackville Street and Besant Road
Often thought to refer to the pun Dew Drop Inn for ‘do drop inn’, the name is more likely to refer to the heraldic motto of the Worshipful Company of Distillers – Drop as Rain, Distil as Dew.
The Dial Tavern¹
This pub name often refers to the existence of a large public clock nearby, although in Portsmouth’s case it may have originally referred to a mariner’s compasses. The pub’s last inn sign depicted an image of St Mary’s Church, Fratton, whose clock may well have been visable from this spot years ago – as would the clock of the nearby Guildhall.
Most likely named after HMS Diamond, of which the Royal Navy has operated a dozen such-hnamed ships since the mid 17th century.
The Dick Turpin¹
Named after the eponymous English highwayman (1705-39) who was executed outside the walls of York and has since become a figure of folklore.
The Dog & Duck³
A popular pub name derived from the once Royal pastime of duck hunting, once favoured by King Charles II. Ducks, with the pinions of their wings removed to prevent flight, would be thrown into a pond, with spaniels sent in to hunt them. The birds’ only means of escape would be to dive underwater to avoid the dogs.
Dolphins have been considered as a sign of good luck by mariners for hundreds of years and it was believed that the creatures would protect a ship at sea in the event of a storm. Many vessels as well as pubs have therefore been named thus.
The Dorchester Arms³
This pub passed into the ownership of brewers Eldridge Pope in the late 19th century. EP was a Dorchester based company.
Broad Street and Thomas Street
The name given to three Royal Navy vessels (the third of which was sunk in 1942) – the name of these pubs referred to HMS Dorsetshire, a 70-gun third-rate launched in 1757 and broken up in 1775.
The Dreadnought Tavern¹
The name dreadnought has existed as the name of Royal Naval ships since 1573.
The Druids Arms
Binsteed Road and Wingfield Street
Referring to the Celtic priesthood and depicting a Druid figure at Stonehenge on the inn sign, pubs with this name were sometimes used as meeting places for the United Ancient Order of Druids, founded in 1781.
The Duchess of Edinburgh¹
Grand Duchess Maria Alexandrovna of Russia (1853-1920), married to Prince Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh, in 1874, who himself was an Admiral of the Royal Navy.
The Duchess of Fife³
Named after Princess Alexandra, Duchess of Fife (1891-1959), granddaughter of King Edward VII.
The Duke of Bedford¹
Russell is the family name of the Dukes of Bedford, prominent in the aristocracy since the reign of King Henry VIII.
The Duke of Brunswick³
The Duke of Buckingham
Commemorating George Villiers, 1st Duke of Buckingham (1592-1628) who was murdered by army officer John Felton on 23rd August 1628 at a house by the name of the Spotted Dog, located close to the pub on Old Portsmouth’s High Street. Felton was hanged on the Tyburn tree for his crime.
The Duke of Clarence¹
Queen Street and St Paul’s Road (Grigg Street)
Named after William, Duke of Clarence (1765-1837), later King William IV, son of George III.
The Duke of Connaught¹
see Connaught Arms
The Duke of Devonshire
Most likely named after the 1st Duke of Devonshire, William Cavendish (1640-1707), soldier and Member of Parliament.
The Duke of Edinburgh³
Named after Prince Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh (1844-1900), second son of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert, who became Admiral of the Fleet of the Royal Navy in 1893. The building that once housed the pub on North Street still stands to this day.
The Duke of York¹
The pub that existed on Commercial Road was renamed Duke of York in 1899. Therefore, this name likely relates to the then Duke of York, later King George V (1865-1936).
The Duncan Arms¹ / Head¹ / Cellars¹
Duncan Road, St Nicholas Street and Copnor Road
Named in honour of Admiral Adam Duncan, 1st Viscount Duncan (1731-1804), commander of the fleet at the Battle of Camperdown in 1797 – a decisive victory against the Dutch Navy.