St George’s Square (and other locations)
The Eagle is a popular Christian and heraldic symbol, appearing on inn signs since the 15th century. It was used to decorate curch lecterns as it was the symbol of St John the Evangelist. It was also a prominent military symbol of the Roman Empire.
The Earl St Vincent¹
Named after Admiral of the Fleet John Jervis, 1st Earl of St Vincent (1735-1823) and Whig member of parliament.
The Eastfield Hotel
Prince Albert Road
Located on the corner of Eastfield Road, the inn sign depicts a weather cock (or weather vane). The exact derivation of the pub name is uncertain, though it most likely relates purely to the cardinal point, as there is also a Westfield Road nearby.
The ill-fated Portsmouth and Arundel canal once followed a route close to the pub. The canal construction was financially supported by George Wyndham, 3rd Earl of Egremont (1751-1837).
The Eight Bells¹
High Street and King Street
Eight bells signifies the end of a watch at sea. The phrase ‘eight bells’ can also be a nautical euphemism for something that has “finished” – the term sometimes being used in a sailor’s obituary.
The Eldon Arms
This pub shows an inn sign depicting the Eldon family crest with the Latin motto “Sit sine labus decus” meaning “Let honour stainless be”. The pub may well be dedicated to John Scott, 1st Earl of Eldon (1751-1838).
The Electric Arms
With an inn sign depicting a lighthouse and electricity pylons, the origin of the Electric Arms’ name is uncertain, though it is believed to be linked to the trams that once ran along Fratton Road. Other pubs with this name may well have been among the first public houses to have had electric lighting installed.
The Elephant & Castle¹
The arms of the Worshipful Company of Cutlers depicts an elephant with a howdah on its back, which looks much like a castle. An alternative and common belief regarding the derivation of the name is that it relates to the Infanta de Castile, Eleanor of Castile, wife of King Edward I.
Stood on Elm Grove, the name of this pub recalls the many elm trees that once stood along this road – the last of which was cut down in 1929.
The Emporer of India¹
Referring to King Edward VII (1841-1910) who’s accession to the throne came two years prior to the renaming of this pub which was formerly known as the London Stout House.
The Engineers Arms¹
Kent Street and Railway View
A reference to railway engineers.
The Euphrates Arms¹
Likely to be a reference to the Royal Navy vessel HMS Euphrates, an iron-hulled troopship launched in 1866 to convey servicemen from Portsmouth to Bombay. She was disposed of in 1894.
The Evening Star¹
The term given to a planet, especially Venus or Mercury, that is prominent near the western horizon shortly after sunset. Other pubs elsewhere refer to the last steam locomotive built by British Rail in 1960, though this happened a century after the such-named pub in Portsmouth.
The Excellent Arms¹
North Street and Upper Church Path
HMS Excellent was a 74-gun third rate ship of the line of the Royal Navy, lauched in 1787 and scrapped in 1835. She spent her final years as a traning ship, moored at Whale Island in Portsmouth Harbour and was succeeded by two further vessels, both of which were renamed Excellent. The facility became a shore base in 1891, retaining the same name until 1985. It was then amalgamated with nearby HMS Nelson.