The great Italian soldier and patriot Giuseppe Garibaldi (1807-82) was a popular figure in Britain and was presented with the Freedom of the City during a visit to London in 1864.
The Garrick’s Head¹
Named in honour of the renowned English actor and theatrical manager David Garrick (1717-79). A number of theatres in the UK and US are also named after him – most notably that on London’s Charing Cross Road.
There are three possible origins for this name. The first (and most popular) is a reference to St George, the patron saint of England. Other possibilities are that the pub may have been named after one of the four King Georges who had reigned at the time the pub (on Queen Street) was opened for business. However, the inn sign depicts a ship and the house may well be named to commemorate a naval vessel.
The George & Dragon
Kingston Road and Sandwich Street
A popular pub name, referring to St George, the patron saint of England, that folklore claims slayed a dragon.
The George Inn
Portsdown Hil Road
The inn sign of this 18th century pub on Portsdown Hill depicts an image of England’s longest reigning king (at 59 years, 96 days), George III.
The Gladstone (Head)¹
Staunton Street and Upper Arundel Street
Named in honour of the great Liberal politician and four-times UK Prime Minister, William Ewart Gladstone (1809-98).
The Glaziers Arms¹
St Thomas Street
This pub can be traced back as far as the 18th century and the name well have been in existance many years beforehand. The title may well refer to the men who constructed the stained glass for the nearby Parish Church of St Thomas of Canterbury, later to become Portsmouth Anglican Cathedral.
This name has various meanings depending on the geographical location of the pub. Portsmouth’s example is likely to have had a nautical reference, most likely an acknowledgement of Sir Francis Drake’s circumnavigation of the world (1577-80) in his ship Golden Hind – which also has a Portsmouth pub named after it.
The Glorious Apollo¹
Named after HMS Apollo, a 32-gun fifth-rate ship of the line, launched in 1763 as HMS Glory and renamed in 1774. She was sent to the breakers in 1786.
The Golden Eagle
Originally simply the Eagle, the inn sign depicts one of the UK’s rarest and largest birds, the Golden Eagle (of which there is only one presently resident in England).
The Golden Fleece¹
Commercial Road and Ordnance Row
Likely named after the Greek myth of the fleece of the gold-haired, winged ram – sought after by Jason and his Argonauts by order of King Pelias. Golden Fleece was also the name of a Royal Navy minesweeper, launched in 1944 – though this post-dated the pubs’ name by at least seventy years.
The Golden Hind
One of many pubs named in honour of Sir Francis Drake, who sailed his Golden Hind around the world between 1577 and 1580.
The Golden Lion¹
This popular pub name is an heraldic reference to King Henry I and also to the Percy family (the dukes of Northumberland).
The Good Companion
Eastern Road (Shore Avenue)
The inn sign once depicted a dog – man’s good companion.
The Good Intent¹
Church Path North, Upper Arundel Street and Hay Street
Likely to be named after an early 19th century Royal Navy in-shore cutter used for coastal defences.
The Goose at the V & A²
Victoria Road South
Pub owners Mitchells & Butlers run a chain of pubs named the Goose. The V & A suffix refers to the pub’s location at the junction of Victoria Road and Albert Road.
The Gordon Arms¹
Malins Road and Lennox Road North
see Lennox Arms
The Graham Arms
Named after Sir James Robert George Graham (1792-1861), First Lord of the Admiralty.
The Granada Arms / Hotel³
Named after the city of Granada in Andalusia, Spain.
The Grantham Arms³
Grantham Place stood nearby, off Somers Road. The inn sign depicts the Grantham family coat of arms.
The Grave Diggers³
Highland Road cemetery stands opposite the pub and is the final resting place of a number of notable figures from the 19th century.
The Great Britain’s Head¹
A possible reference to SS Great Britain, or its figurehead – the famous ship designed by IK Brunel, born in Portsmouth in 1806.
The Great Eastern Tavern¹
Named to honour IK Brunel’s enormous steam ship SS Great Eastern, launched on the Thames in 1858 as a passenger vessel but proving ultimately unsuccessful and ending her years as a transatlantic cable layer. She was broken up on Merseyside in 1889-90.
The Great Western¹
Commercial Road and Delhi Street
Another reference to Portsmouth-born IK Brunel – this time his Great Western Railway, that ran from London to the West of England. Both pubs were located close to the Portsmouth’s railway line (part of the Southern Railway).
The Green Dragon¹
The Green Dragon is an heraldic symbol appearing on the coat of arm of the Earls of Pembroke. This tavern was located on Old Portsmouth’s High Street, close to Pembroke Road and another pub – the Pembroke.
The Green Farm²
Since renamed Toby Carvery, the Green Farm pub was opened on the site of Green Farm – Portsea Island’s last working farm.
The Green Man¹
For centuries the green man has been a symbol of May Day celebrations and Pagan imagery. In some locations the name may also be a reference to the folk hero Robin Hood.
The Green Posts
see Blue Posts
High Street and St James Road
The Greyhound was once a common name for horse-drawn express mail coaches to London from the provincial cities. It is possible that these pubs – in particular the High Street hostelry – are named after such a coach. High Street was the terminus of the London to Portsmouth stage.
One of Portsmouth’s oldest buidings, this pub would likely have been named in reference to the army personnel barracked in the city in bygone years.
The Guernsey (In Distress)¹
The Royal Navy operated three ships by the name of HMS Guernsey throughout the 17th and 18th centuries. In 1886 the pub added the suffix In Distress to its name – an obvious nautical reference, but possibly relating to the deteriorating condition of the building itself, as the pub was rebuilt twenty years later.
The Gunner’s Arms¹
Named in honour of William Henry Gunner – Victorian solicitor from Bishops Waltham who’s former land the street was built on. Gunner & Co was the name of a private provincial bank for Bishop’s Waltham and the Meon Valley throughout much of the nineteenth century.