The Labour In Vain¹
This name was originally meant to imply that any attempts to brew beer of the quality available at the pub with this name would be a ‘labour in vain’. Pubs with this name have sometimes depicted an image of a housewife scrubbing a black boy in a wooden tub.
The Lads of the Village¹
Finsbury Street and Somers Road
An uncertain derivative, possibly a reference to local sailors or soldiers, but may also refer to a charity organisation.
The Lady Hamilton³
Vice Admiral Lord Horatio Nelson’s mistress was Emma Hamilton (1765-1815), by whom he fathered a daughter, Horatia.
The Lake Arms¹
Located on the street of the same name, this refers to the fact that Lake Road was originally a lane bordered on each side by ditches, with Lake Furlong at its western end (now the site of Paradise Street).
The Lamb & Flag¹
Arundel Street and East Street
An heraldic sign referring to, among others, the Knights Templar, the Merchant Tailors Company and St John’s College, Oxford. The Lamb is a Christian symbol – ‘Behold the Lamb of God” [John 1:29].
The Land of Promise¹
Likely to be a biblical reference – the Promised Land, or land promised or given by God. The name can be traced back in Portsmouth as far as 1716. A house by the name of the Land of Promise and Pleasure Gardens existed in the local area in the 1770s.
Lillie Langtry, nicknamed Jersey Lily, (1853-1929) was a British actress born on the island of Jersey. She is reputed to have once lived at this premises before it became a pub.
A Lanyard is a piece of rope or cord worn around the neck – or aboard ship can also refer to a piece of rigging.
The Lawrence Arms
Located on Lawrence Road, the inn sign depicts the coat of arms of the Lawrence family, with its motto “Be ready“. Probably named after Sir Henry Lawrence, a soldier in the India Campaign. Henry Lawrence was also the name of a local builder, responsible for the construction of Waverley Road, located a few hundred yards to the south.
The Leathern Bottle¹
Prince George Street
A reminder of bygone years when all bottles were made of leather, as opposed to glass.
The Lennox Arms¹
Marmion Road and Commercial Road
Named after the Dukes of Richmond, who’s family name is Gordon-Lennox. The 5th Duke, Charles Gordon-Lennox was Conservative MP for Chichester from 1812-19.
Butcher Street, Henrietta Street and Havant Street
see Ship Leopard
The Leopold Tavern
Leopold I of Belgium (1790-1865) was the uncle of Queen Victoria and was crowned first King of the Belgians in 1831.
The Live & Let Live¹
This title traditionally refers to a comment (in the form of the pub name) made by a licensee regarding something that he believes to be unfair or unjust. For instance, local taxes or licensing restrictions, a rival pub opening close by, or maybe a loss of trade caused by other factors. Sometimes the name may also have a more light-hearted reference.
Somers Road and Railway View
Both pubs were sited close to the railway line that ran between Fratton and Portsmouth & Southsea stations.
The Lone Yachtsman²
Named in honour of Sir Alec Rose (1908-1991) who, on 4th July 1968 returned to his home town of Portsmouth after single-handedly circumnavigating the globe in his yacht, the Lively Lady. He was knighted by the Queen the following day. The pub included a Lively Lady bar.
The Lord Chichester
Likely to be named after Thomas Pelham, 1st Earl of Chichester (1728-1805), who was Lord of the Admiralty from 1761-1762. The inn sign however shows the portrait of a bearded ‘Lord Chichester’ – appearing to be from the Victorian era.
The Lord Clive³
Robert Clive, 1st Baron Clive of Plassey (1725-1774), known as Clive of India, famed for establishing the hugely influential East India Company and instrumental in the creation of British India.
The Lord Clyde¹
Castle Road and Warblington Street
In honour of Field Marshall Colin Campbell, 1st Baron Clyde (1792-1863), British Army officer and Commander-in-Chief of India.
The Lord Duncan’s Head¹
St Nicholas Street
The Lord Hood¹
Named in honour of Samuel Hood, 1st Viscount Hood (1724-1816), British Admiral and mentor to Horatio Nelson.
The Lord John Russell²
Lord John Russell (1792-1878), Whig politician and twice Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.
The Lord Napier¹
see Sir Charles Napier
The Lord Nelson¹
see Nelson Tavern
The Lord Palmerston
Palmerston Road and Arundel Street¹
Named in honour of Henry John Temple, 3rd Viscount Palmerston (1784-1865), twice Prime Minister to Queen Victoria and the instigator of major fortifications to protect Portsmouth and its harbour from invasion by the French.
The Lord Raglan¹
Grosvenor Street and St James Street
Named after Field Marshal Fitzroy James Henry Somerset, 1st Baron Raglan (1788-1855) and military secretary to the Duke of Wellington.
The Lord Roberts¹
Named in honour of Field Marshal Frederick Sleigh Roberts, 1st Earl Roberts (1832-1914), commander of the British Forces in the Second Boer War.
The Lord Wolsley¹
In recognition of Field Marshal Garnet Joseph Wolseley, 1st Viscount Wolseley (1833-1913), successful officer of the British Army and Commander-in-Chief of the Forces from 1895 to 1900.
The Lucknow Tavern¹
Another reference to Field Marshal Colin Campbell, 1st Baron Clyde (1792-1863), British Army officer who captured Lucknow, India after attacking and decisively defeating Tatya Tope at the Second Battle of Cawnpore.