The Pack Horse¹
A reminder of the days before the canal and rail systems, when horses carried packs of goods from town to town.
The Painters Arms
This name may derive from arsonist Jack The Painter (James Hill) who was hanged outside the main gate in 1777 following an attempt to destroy the dockyard.
The Palmerston Arms
George Street¹ and Palmerston Road²
see Lord Palmerston
The Park Tavern
Located a short distance from the entrance to Victoria Park, which was opened in 1878 – the year the pub changed its name from the Battle & Breeze.
The Parade Hotel¹
This pub’s inn sign (which stood on the opposite side of the street, long after the pub had been demolished) showed a lady and naval gentleman (resembling Lord Nelson and his mistress Emma Hamilton) parading along Southsea’s promenade.
Sometimes an heraldic symbol and depicted on a family’s coat of arms, the name would originally have indicated somebody who was very proud of himself – or a licensee who is proud of his pub.
The Pelham Arms
As with the Lord Chichester pub on the same street, likely to be named after Thomas Pelham, 1st Earl of Chichester (1728-1805), who was Lord of the Admiralty from 1761-1762.
Conway Street and St George’s Square
Most likely referring to Sir Francis Drake’s ship the Pelican (later the Golden Hind), in which he circumnavigated the globe in 1577.
Possibly in honour of the Earl of Pemboke, but more likely to have been named after one of the Royal Navy’s ships, HMS Pembroke. Probably the vessel built in 1812 and not sold until 1905. The inn sign depicts the ship’s crest.
The Penhale Arms³
Stood opposite Penhale Road, the name reputedly derives from a farm which could once be found in this part of Portsea Island.
The Pensioners Arms¹
Pubs with this name were often run by licensees pensioned from the armed forces.
This name refers to the iron screw troopship, ordered as the Russian Sobraon before the Crimean War and purchased by the Royal Navy from its builders in 1854 as HMS Perseverance. She was wrecked in 1860.
Torrington Road, Duncan Road and King Street
There are two pubs in the city still trading with this name. Both depict the mythical phœnix bird rising from the ashes.
The Plasterers Arms¹
All Saints Road
Named after the Worshipful Company of Plaisterers [sic] (founded 1500) who’s motto is Let Brotherly Love Continue.
The Plough & Spade¹
This pub can be traced back to the early nineteeth century, at a time when Fratton (formerly Froddington) would have been a farming community.
The Plume of Feathers¹
Kent Street and Oyster Street
This name is a reference to the plume of three ostrich feathers, first adopted as a crest by Edward of Woodstock, the Black Prince (1330-76), eldest son of King Edward III. Edward became Prince of Wales in 1343.
The Plymouth Arms / Cellars¹
A likely reference to the Royal Navy’s sister port, 150 miles along the coast in Devon.
The Pompadour Tavern¹
St Mary’s Street
Named after Jeanne Antoinette Poisson, Marquise de Pompadour, also known as Madame de Pompadour (1721-1764), member of the French court and official chief mistress of Louis XV from 1745 to her death.
Located outside Fratton Park, home of Portsmouth Football Club, who’s nickname is Pompey. The term has since become a byword for the city itself.
The Portland Arms / Lodge¹ / Tap¹
Named in honour of the Dukes of Portland – notably William Henry Cavendish-Bentinck (1738-1809), twice Prime Minister of Great Britain.
The Post Boy¹
St Thomas Street
Named after the boys, or men, that once rode post or carried mail.
The Powerscourt Arms¹
Likely named after the 1st Viscount Powerscourt, Richard Wingfield, Governor of Portsmouth 1551-54. This pub stood on Church Street, close to Wingfield Street. Roughly half a mile away is Powerscourt Road.
The Prince Consort¹
Named in honour of the recently-deceased Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, The Prince Consort (1819-61), husband of Queen Victoria.
The Prince George’s Head¹
Prince George Street
see Prince Regent
The Prince of Prussia¹
Named after one of the former princes of the House of Hohenzollern, the dynasty of princes, electors, kings and emperors of Hohenzollern, Brandenburg, Prussia, the German Empire and Romania.
The Prince of Wales¹
In honour of the eldest son of the monarch, who inherits the title of Prince of Wales.
The Prince Regent¹
Prince Regent Street
Located on a street with the same name, this pub was dedicated to the future George IV (1762-1830) who served as Prince Regent to his father George III from 1811 until his accession to the throne in 1820.
The Prince William¹
Named after Prince William Henry, Duke of Gloucester and Edinburgh (1743-1805), grandson of King George II and younger brother of King George III.
The Princess Alexandra¹
Castle Road, Havant Street and Clock Street
Named after Alexandra of Denmark (1844-1925), queen consort of King Edward VII (see also the Rose of Denmark).
The Princess Charlotte¹
Likely to be named after Charlotte, Princess Royal (1766-1828), Queen of Württemberg and eldest daughter of King George III.
The Princess Royal¹
Named in honour of Victoria, Princess Royal, later Queen Victoria (1840-1901)
The Priory Inn¹
Victoria Road North
Built on a site close to a former priory and Priory Farm. The nearby Priory School also takes its name from these two former establishments.
The Prospect Arms¹
Stood on the street of the same name, outside the dockyard, and likely named after a ship. A vessel with the name Prospect was once a well-known square-rigged schooner that plied its trade along the south coast.
The Pure Drop¹
A name to suggest to drinkers that the ale on offer within is of the highest quality.