A breed of hound, once popularly used for hunting. This particular species of dog derived its name from being used on the Talbot family coat of arms in the 15th century.
The Tally Ho¹
This name derives from the traditional cry of huntsmen on the sighting of a fox. Some pubs with this title refer to a stagecoach named Tally Ho that once operated between London and Birmingham.
This pub featured a large mural of a Moorish horseman above the entrance door and another scene of Tangiers Market as you enter. It is likely that textiles from Tangiers once entered Britain through Portsmouth.
Formerly the Brewery Tap, the Southsea Brewery stood behind this pub in Pitcroft Lane. Tied pubs located close to breweries often had the name Tap, indicating that ale was brewed in or near the premises.
The Taswell Arms³
Located on Taswell Road and named after a Dr Lake Taswell – historian and local landowner.
Located on the street of the same name, this house may have been named after a once-famous stagecoach that ran between London and Exeter. More likely is that the title refers to telegraph signalling once used to transmit messages at speed from Portsmouth to the Admiralty in London via a series of semaphore towers – or of course electrical telegraphy such as morse code.
Presided over by Scotsman, grocer James Killpatrick, this name is an obvious reference to the floral emblem of Scotland.
The Thistle & Crown¹
High Street and Point
The name of these two early-18th century pubs refers to the Acts of Union between England & Scotland in 1706/7.
The Temple Bar¹
Church Path North
A reference to the former ceremonial entrance to the City of London, which once stood at the point where Strand (in the City of Westminster) becomes Fleet Street (in the City of London). The structure was dismantled for road widening in 1878 and re-erected by brewer Henry Meux in the grounds of his mansion at Theobalds Park, Hertfordshire. In 2004 Temple Bar was again relocated, this time returning to the City of London, were it now stands at the entrance to the newly-redesigned Paternoster Square, adjacent to St Paul’s Cathedral.
The Terminus Tavern¹
Named after Portsmouth Town railway station (later Portsmouth & Southsea), which stood adjacent. The pub was demolished to make way for a new goods station.
The Thatched House
Locksway Road, London Road² and Broad Street¹
Until recently, the name of two pubs in Portsmouth. Possibly both located on the sites of thatched properties, which would have been plentiful on Portsea Island in bygone centuries.
The Theatre Tavern²
Commercial Road (now Guildhall Walk)
Named after the Theatre Royal, located next door.
The Three Blackbirds¹
Located close to the dockyard, the name is this pub is the subject of conjecture. The blackbird name was once used as a general reference to members of the crow family as well as blackbirds themselves. The name may simply refer to the birds themselves – with three being used on the inn sign for visual appeal. An alternative theory for the name is the fact that the word blackbird was once used as a nautical term for negro slaves – though it is unlikely that this would have been acknowledged on pub signs.
The Three Compasses¹
High Street and Cross Street
This name relates to the Worshipful Company of Carpenters, whose coat of arms depicts three compasses.
The Three Crowns¹
St James’s Street and High Street
Generally a reference to the Magi, or three wise men, who travelled to Bethlehem to visit the infant Jesus. Also, the heraldic livery of the three crowns relates to the Worshipful Company of Drapers.
The Three Cups¹
This name refers to the Worshipful Company of Salters and dates back to the 16th century. Three cups appear on the shield of the Salters’ coat of arms.
The Three Gunns¹
St George’s Square
A reference to the naval ordnance depot, located in the dockyard at Gun Wharf, a short walk from the pub.
The Three Horse Shoes¹
Queen Street and Bath Square
A reference to the coat of arms of the Worshipful Company of Farriers. There would have been a number of such tradesmen in these areas in bygone years.
The Three Jolly Butchers¹
A likely reference to the men that once worked in the nearby pig market.
The Three Marines
The Eastney Barracks of the Royal Marines were located a few hundred yards from this pub.
The Three Tuns¹
A tun is a large cask used for the storage of wine and other liquids. The image of three tuns appears on the crest of the Worshipful Company of Vintners.
The Thurlow Arms¹
Likely to be named after Edward Thurlow, 1st Baron Thurlow (1731-1806), lawyer, Tory politician and Lord Chancellor of Great Britain.
HMS Tiger (also Tyger) has been the name given to over a dozen Royal Naval vessels since the 16th century. It is unclear as to which ship this pub, dating from at least the late 18th century, is named in honour of.
A late 20th century pub conversion, this large pub is located within Trafalgar House.
The Trafalgar Arms
Wingfield Street, Fratton Road and Abercrombie Street.
With one pub of this name still trading on Fratton Road, the title refers to Lord Horatio Nelson’s famous naval victory, fought off the coast of Portugal, near Cape Trafalgar, in 1805.
The Tramway Arms³
This street on which this pub was location was a major route for trams throughout the first half of the 20th century.
The Traveller’s Joy¹
Milton Road and Kingston Crescent
With an inn sign depicting a bowler hatted gent supping a pint of ale, this is an obvious theme for a pub name.
The Traveller’s Rest³
St Mary’s Road and Somers Road
Similar to the above, the pub on Somers Road shares a name with many dozens throughout the land, with an inn sign also showing a gentleman with a pint of ale.
The Tribune Arms¹
HMS Tribune was the name given to six Royal Naval vessels since the late 18th century. The pub was likely named after the second of these, a 36-gun fifth rate launched in 1803. She was rebuilt as a 24-gun sixth rate in 1832 and was wrecked in 1839.
The True Blue
Broad Street³, Landport Street¹ and Alfred Street¹
A reference to a loyal member of the Whig party (or Scottish Presbyterians) on account of the colour associated with those organisations.
The True Briton¹
This name refers to the Portsmouth-based True Briton, the 1209-ton ‘East Indiaman’ freight sailing ship that operated under licence to the East India Companies. She set sail from Portsmouth on her eighth voyage in 1809, bound for Bombay and China, but disappeared in the China Seas with the loss of all hands.
The [Original] Twyford Arms³
Named in honour of local landowner Samuel Twyford.